Sunday, March 22, 2015

Sunday Quilt Inspiration: C H A I R S

I started out thinking that chairs could be the inspiration for making a quilt.  In my head the chair would be on the quilt.  

"Literary Reverie" by art quilter BJ Adams -- 34.5" by 24.5" -- 2007 --   Free-motion machine embroidery on cotton fabric.

It turns out that my search brought up the opposite: the quilt is part of the chair.


Wheel Chair Lap Quilts with pockets, or great for seniors, click here. - Baby Quilts and Lap Quilts with Pockets are my specialty!


How to...Reupholster Chairs with Old Quilts (Inspiration) Pretty!

Patchwork Furniture

DIY Recycle scrap fabric into tuffet / stool by Elsie's Girl Awesome but looks like quite a project!

Suffolk Puff covered chair. Made for Thread and Thrift exhibition by Mandy Pattullo 2009

DIY Floor Cushions + 25 Small Quilting Tutorials

Well, damn! If I had thought to use a pre-made quilt to reupholster my chair, it would have saved me a lot of work!

Sew Sweetness: Tutorial: Junk in the Trunk Chair Cushions

AWESOME use of fabric selvages to cover an office chair seat, from Sew We Quilt@Stash Manicure.

This chair is amazing! ♥  I would love to do something like this for the chairs in Domesticraft.  So cute.

Crazy-Quilt-Combo-of-Vintage-Kantha-Sari-Fabrics-at-Plumo

What's your favorite kind of reading chair? I like the chair and a half. Room for me and my stacks. Why read one at a time? The Search for the Perfect Reading Chair 10 Favorite Finds

There's a part of me that really wants a patchwork chair in the craft room.

Squint Ltd out of England. Sold in limited editions. If you haven't seen their work check out their website and say wow! http://www.squintlimited.com/

I have had one of these quilts in progress using 'Blush' for....ever. Looks so pretty in 'Dream On'!

and to think i have all those vintage quilts... love the idea, even if i am not wild about the frame work of the chair

I would say it's a novel idea but, it turns out, using a quilt to upholster a chair is fairly common among crafters.  I guess great minds do think alike!  Have a wonderful week.

3 comments:

Kaja said...

Years ago, when I was first married and broke, someone gave us a sofa they were throwing out and I patchworked it, using a book of furnishing fabric samples. Now I really wish I had some photos of it!

jenclair said...

Aren't they beautiful! A quilter will quilt anything just to be able to use their skills--and turn the mundane into something cheerful and colorful.

Mary Marcotte said...

I think you're right, Jenclair. I've been thinking that they are so pretty, I want one. The problem is that you have to cut up a perfectly good quilt. That goes against the grain so much that I just don't think I can do it. But then I'm not as brave as Kaja about anything sewing-related! I wish you had pictures, Kaja. I'd love to see your work.