Friday, May 1, 2015

Fidget Quilt #5

This is the last of the completed fidget quilts, but I do have a few more started.  I'm hoping that the weekend will see a couple more completions.  

One of the reasons I enjoyed making this little quilt is that I figured out a technique for adding a texture.  The loop on the lower half, close to the buttons, is small but stays open because I stitched it with an extra piece of fabric.  

Originally I wanted to cover the raw edges, but by stitching all four sides of the covering, I also "pinned" the loop open.



Three little buttons, mismatched for interest, add another dimension of texture.  And a wide band on the opposite side is large enough for fingers to slide in and out.  The final corner is extra soft since I piled in some foam before closing off the quilt with binding.



 Without thinking I put a plain white muslin backing.  Since this one, I've started using pieces of scrap for the backing, too.  And I've written the label information on the backs, which includes "In Loving Memory of Ellen Bourque."  I've been making these because my mom was an Alzeheimers patient before her death.


 I'm pretty sure I was supposed to take better pictures before posting, but well, it's me so what are the chances that the pics will be better?

Try to look past the fuzzy, grainy, out-of-focus issues and see the beauty of the quilt and my love.



Like all the others, this one will find an Alzheimer's friend in a nursing home.


Linking Up With:



                 Fort Worth Fabric Studio   

6 comments:

Donna J said...

I think your fidget quilts are such a great idea. I'm sure they are well used and apreciated.

Kaja said...

You are on a roll with these. I love that you are putting your mum's name on them too.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Such a great idea! What's the finished size? Linda

Karen S said...

I am enjoying seeing each of these finishes.

Dondi M said...

I'm a day late...how large or small are these quilts? We have a nursing home not too far from us. I think making these would be wonderful! I am sure some of my quilting friends would be very happy to help, too. I might need one someday. One never knows.

jenclair said...

Mary, you are getting ahead of me! Good job on new innovations!