Friday, May 8, 2015

Fidget Quilt #7

A recently finished fidget quilt!  This baby is already in the hands of an Alzheimer's patient.


Richard and I delivered eight quilts earlier in the week.  I wanted the first group to go to the nursing home where my mom was a patient for a summer.  

This particular quilt is one I made using scraps and a long piece of yellow ribbon.  I wanted to work on this fabric manipulation technique in which the fabric is folded into box pleats.  Using this ribbon really added texture.



But you know I got tired of making the same pleats over and over, so I just used up the ribbon by playing with it.  The goal was to see how many folds I could make.  Turns out that there aren't many once you form a 45 degree fold, it's over!



I did accomplish getting more texture by sewing the triangles so that they stick up.  The trick is to barely catch the base of the triangle where the ribbon meets the quilt.  I used my thimble to show how much the ribbon stands up.


Ribbon and squares along the edges for added color and texture.  And in the squares, some beads.....because!



I hope that the receiver is calmed by holding and playing with it. With each quilt I say a prayer for the person who will keep busy by handling the fabrics, beads and ribbons.  



Please join me in praying for these patients, also. 

I did it!  I'm linking up with all five of the Friday linky parties:

Finish It Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts 
Fabric Frenzy Friday for Fourth Worth Fabric Studio
Thank Goodness Its Finished Friday for Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday TGIFF--find TGIFF at Quilt Matters this week


Please go and say hello!

3 comments:

M-R Charbonneau said...

Great job, Mary! You've made someone a wonderful and thoughtful gift. Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

Karen S said...

Another great finish. I am sure they were all appreciated.

Turid said...

So interesting and fun quilts.