Friday, September 4, 2015

Modern Theory -- a finish!


First, allow me bragging rights: another of my tutorials has been added to Totally Tutorials!  Thank you, Kym, for accepting and publishing my tutorial.


In other news, "Modern Theory," a quilt that I made some time ago but never finished, is now complete.  In fact, I sent it off to the local quilt show along with four other quilts.

This quilt is one of those that I made in the summer of 2014.  I wrote about another quilt that I made during that summer.  I was in a use up some of the scrap blocks phase and made several quilts that I called "Fickle Quilts."  

I guess fickle just happened to be my word of the week or something. Who knows what was in my head? Surely not me--it was summer and I was sewing. 

And really, that's all that matters. 
 
When I quilted this one, I just played around with different motifs and designs.  The plan at the time was to have fun, work out some new designs, and see how it would turn out in the end.  

My guild friends were impressed, but I don't necessarily agree with them.  Some of the circular motifs are too tight, so they're warped. But more importantly is that the designs don't flow and blend like I'd like them to.  Of course, I wasn't trying to blend them at the time.  


I do that too much: just enjoy the process and then critique the outcome. In the end, I'm not terribly disappointed, but I think it could be much better.  

I do like some of the new designs. There's a flower design that looks like an octopus and a chambered nautilus shape with lots of circles, pebbles, waves, etc. in between. 


And if nothing else, I had fun and designed some fun techniques that I can improve upon. 



Now that the quilt is finished (completely, yay) I may even consider the idea of documenting the new designs so that I have something to refer to when I need them.

That is expecting more than my general M.O., isn't it?  Aww well, let's just enjoy the quilt, shall we?








What's your Friday like?

Linking up with

No comments: