Friday, May 27, 2016

Building the Stash?

I know! Mother's Day was just a few weeks ago (already?) and to my surprise (shocked, I know) the kids gave me a gift certificate. 


To Hancock Fabrics, purchased before the closure announcement. The kids were terribly concerned that the store would not honor the certificate, but I assured them that I'd spend it quickly. And that is just what I did. Without problems, I should add.


I also got 40-50% off of the regular price because of the closing. It didn't take long to figure out that, since I had to purchase two yards anyway, I could choose bolts carefully and get the extra 10% off, even if there were fewer than two yards.


I picked up some Kona solids and, in the case of the Kona black, bought almost an entire bolt.  I also found a few modern prints that I especially liked, so those went into the pile and, before I was ready, I'd spent the entire gift certificate. Richard found a pack of rotary blades and tossed those in. "They won't go bad," he said. I think he was just trying to finish the shopping and get out of there!



Do I need it all? Definitely not, but I am not one to "look a gift horse in the mouth" (as my mom loved to say), and I also didn't need anything else. My studio is well stocked! 


 I'm still kind of shocked that I was able to get all of this at almost half price. Surprise, I've already cut into some of it! And the rest? Well, in some cases there's enough yardage to make tops or shorts for the grands, and I can always make another quilt, right?

The real problem: I'm not sure how to account for these at the end of the month since they shouldn't count as purchases--technically they are gifts-- but they are definitely additions. I'm open to suggestions...how do you handle gifted additions in your stash report?

2 comments:

Kaja said...

Wow - you got a great pile of fabric! I don't keep track of my stash, but surely gifts shouldn't count?

Mary Marcotte said...

I only count what comes in and what goes out. I started giving a stash report at the end of each month when a bloggy friend recommended as lots of fun. I not really sure which is good: the building up or using up! lol Maybe I should ask...