Saturday, January 14, 2017

Murky Waters ~~ FINISHED!

This scrap quilt is a finish! I thought it was started in 2017, but blogs tend to be a fairly accurate way of keeping track of things and mine says this was started on or before December 27. So I guess it's a 2016-17 completion. 

When I began the quilt I had one goal: to bust up some scraps. Well, that it did. Every bit of fabric in this one is from a scrap bin. In fact, the top is from the beige-to-brown bin and the bottom from the calicoes bin. I pieced the calico together.



How is it that every time I go into the stash, I find more calico? Do they somehow multiply and toss bits and pieces into the stash? I pulled what I thought was all of the calico out and move them to a separate pile on the other side of the closet. Yet, I find more and more of them in the stash.




But I digress (and do not solve the mystery). I've decided that this quilt shall be named Murky Waters simply because it reminds me of bayou water--murky, brown, muddy, messy and sometimes smelly. 

At 54 X 56 it will make a nice lap throw or small bed quilt. I don't have a particular person in mind to give it to, so it may go into the donation pile. 

I took it outside into very bright sunshine and laid it on Richard's woodpile, thinking the browns would complement each other. A few minutes later Rich walked up and offered to hold the quilt for me, which I greatly appreciate. 

One of the nice things about making a quilt totally from scraps is that any quilting motif will do. So I used this one to practice some motifs that are difficult to quilt. The problem? Because of the many different pieces, it is difficult to see the stitches and analyze how good or bad they are, but at least the person who eventually gets the quilt also won't be able to see any bad stitches. 





Quilt Stats
Name: Murky Waters
Size: 54 X 56 
Fabrics: Scrap fabrics from stash
Background: none
Binding: Kona Bison
Pattern: none
Quilting: practice quilting with variety of motifs


Linking up with


 :

9 comments:

Karen S said...

That is amazing to think that all the pieces came from your scrap bins. That is wonderful.
And the end result is a great quilt.

Kaja said...

Didn't you know, Mary, that fabric breeds when we are not looking? What a great scrappy quilt - I love that log pile picture;it really brings out the lovely warm tones in the fabric.

Mary Marcotte said...

Karen, those scraps came from one basket. There are two more overflowing. I just don't know what to do with it all...except sew it into quilts. In the end they make great donation quilts that cost practically nothing except time and love.
Kaja, I'm beginning to believe this! It's a nice idea, but wouldn't it be even more thrilling if the offspring were from our favorite designers? I'd choose any Kona solid...what would be your choice?
Hugs to both of you!

jenclair said...

I love this one, Mary! Not just the appearance of the quilt, but that it comes from all the accumulated scraps! This one looks like a comfort quilt--the kind you wrap around you like a warm hug.

Magpie Sue said...

I love the name of this quilt! The quilt itself looks cozy and comforting. It will make a wonderful donation quilt.

Ann said...

Love the name. I'm missing the bayous right now.
It is a pleasure to make quilts totally from scraps and stash. I used to put my least favorites on the back, too. Still a good place for them.
Thanks for linking this darling with AHIQ.

Preeti said...

You took drab scraps and made them into a fabulous quilt. Kudos to you.

PaulaB quilts said...

It's too colorful to be murky, I think. Amazing that all of that in brown tones was sitting there waiting. Maybe fabric has yeast in it that makes it grow and multiply, but that doesn't explain how it gets into other containers. Good job!

liniecat said...

Hadn't thought about practising quilting on scrappies in that way though it makes perfect sense!
This looks smashing I'd be thrilled to receive it lol