Thursday, December 21, 2017

Pin It Weekly #226

I haven't been posting as often as I'd like, but this upset in my already-crazy life has left me rather crumpled. We're all beginning to put things right in the sense that we're finding our places in this new order. More on our recovery from the fire at our son's home later. Let's enjoy a few pins and forget my insane world.


mixed media on found paperRecuerdos del alma. Bringing together media.

I've been especially interested in mixed media work lately. I think it may have to do with some of my "playing" in recent months. There are elements in these that are quite likely going to influence my play. It would probably help if I could put my finger on what it is about each that speaks to me. That element's voice is loud and strong but far from clear.

plans: fix | 24x12", acrylic, mixed media on canvas, 2007 cu… | FlickrMixed media art totems by Brian Giberson of Indigo Lights

Jane Davies  http://janedavies-collagejourneys.blogspot.com/

I've also been pinning more barns, bridges, and dams. Except I've added mills to the mix. Honestly, I'm beginning to think that when I get depressed and want to crawl into a hiding place, I want it to be an interesting one. What's more interesting than an old barn or any old building? I'd curl up and dream about how the place must have been at one time. Even better, I'd dream about how cool it would be to live in such a place!

https://flic.kr/p/9YHDsf | Old Tallassee Mills Bridge | Abandoned Tallassee Mills Bridge in Tallassee, Alabama.  The bridge connects Elmore and Tallapoosa Counties.Wow, this is an odd shaped barn!

Another view of the old railroad bridge & tracks near Thornton, NH  #bridge #tracks

Okay, so maybe bridges wouldn't be a livable place, but you know what I mean, right? How much would you want to live in an old barn or mill or even (maybe) an enclosed shed?

grist mill in Great Smokey MountainsVermont

Antique water wheel at Camp 18, Hwy 26, Oregon

And and these wheels and cogs are just interesting in and of themselves. Sorry I think I got sidetracked, if you're going to dream about making such a place livable, you need to think QUILTS! Do you think that displaying several quilts might make the place cozy and warm?


Love!

Crackers

Modern Plus quilt by Emily Dennis using Blueberry Park fabrics

Echoed Arrows

Very creative use of the "January Block" by Liz Harvatine of Lady Harvatine Quilts. Pattern available for $4 here: http://ladyharvatine.bigcartel.com/product/january-block

Call me quirky, but I love the contrast of an old building dressed up in modern quilts. What do you think? What style of quilt would best work in an old building repurposed as a dwelling?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of living in an old building! Maybe not one in this condition, but something that would be fixer-upper and an inspiration. And oh yes, a few quilts on display would be just perfect!