Sunday, June 10, 2018

Sunday Quilt Inspiration: Sea Glass



my pot of succulents and sea glass
Several weeks ago, I discovered a few 
bags of sea glass in the studio. I used them to decorate a pot of succulents. After doing so, I realized how much I love the colors. 

The light blue/green is my favorite and I've decided to use it in our bedroom and bathroom. We'll be quite some time before getting to the stage of choosing paint and accessories, but I think I have my colors already.

a close up

To that end, sea glass has been on my brain. Of course, I've been thinking about how I could use these particular colors in bedding and such. I will need a new quilt, after all. 

I did a little research on sea glass and found this quote from Wikipedia:

Sea glass and beach glass are similar but come from two different types of water. "Sea glass" is physically and chemically weathered glass found on beaches along bodies of salt water. These weathering processes produce natural frosted glass.[1]"Genuine sea glass" can be collected as a hobby and is used for decoration, most commonly in jewelry. "Beach glass" comes from fresh water and in most cases has a different pH balance and a less frosted appearance than sea glass. Sea glass takes 30 to 40 years, and sometimes as much as 100 years, to acquire its characteristic texture and shape.[2] Sometimes also colloquially referred to as "Drift glass" from the long-shore drift process that forms the smooth edges. In practice, the two terms are used interchangeably.

seaglass---just walk along the water and find it.  fun, free, and beautiful.

Sea glass, it turns out, comes in all colors, though some colors are quite rare depending on when and where the glass was created. 

Blue Seaglass! by ChynneStarr
The frosted appearance comes from the salt in the sea. Therefore, the glass found on the beaches of the Great Lakes and other fresh water bodies is appropriately called beach glass. Today glass can be tumbled to give it the appearance of sea glass, but it is called tumbled glass.
How to drill sea glass.  A useful pice of knowledge, since you can make everything from earrings, bracelets and necklaces to mobiles, and wind-chimes, and whatever else you fancy.

My use of the term sea glass is interchangeable with all three. I'm mostly interested in the frosted light blues and greens like the one on the left. 

Ann Sacks Beautiful Seaglass Mosaic Tile in Chrysalis!

Division quilt pattern from A Bright Corner

sea glass quilt by Hi.C., via Flickr

tia curtis quilts: Seaglass Quilt

Illusion

Beachglass quilt top by Anne@surelynotanotherproject (mianni2010), via Flickr

seaglass art quilt aqua teal turquoise

SALE Ombre half square triangle quilt gender neutral seaglass

Seaglass 108

Sea Glass, Railroad Crossing quilt pattern

April Winners and NTT!

Pattern from Robert Kaufman for Jennifer Sampou's new line, Continuum and Kona Solids. Awesome!!

Have a great week!

2 comments:

Kaja said...

These will be lovely colours for a bedroom. My youngest son always has a pocket full of sea glass - can't go on a beach without picking it up.

Karen S said...

The colours are lovely and do have a beach feel about them. Calm and relaxing.