Sunday, July 15, 2018

Krotz Springs Quilt Guild Show

Some of my favs. I love the colors and patterns.
Krotz Springs always has a great show. First there are plenty of quilts to see and several vendors, who are all members of the guild. Second, they have trunk shows throughout the day. 

I'm not sure how one decides whether the quilt(s) belong in the show or in a trunk. I assume the quilts that are hanging are quilts  finished in the past year, but those in trunks could have been made at any point in time. There are usually three or four trunk shows, so the members take turns presenting their trunks.

Some of the many quilts made with
reproduction print fabrics.

Pam and I try to arrive early to have enough time to view everything before the trunk shows begin. Once those are over, and we've visited enough, we go to the only sit-down restaurant in town and have a great meal. Today we both had chicken-fried steak. Yum!

Having a show in a venue that is not quite large enough presents a few problems, which the guild has managed to work around but not really solved. The quilts line the walls, the vendors sit at tables only a few feet in front of the quilts and the trunk show/entertainment happen in the center of the room. Chairs lined up in the very center provide seating throughout the day.
  

Still, I don't like that I can't get close enough to most of the quilts to really look at them. One reason that I love shows is that I have an opportunity to scrutinize the work. While that sounds that I may be the quilt police, I only want to learn. 









I like figuring out the blocks, looking closely at the quilting, appreciating the applique. The women in this guild are especially talented. Their works are exquisite, so it would be a wonderful opportunity to learn. 

I suppose we all do our best, and for Krotz Springs, this is their best. The venue is great in every other way, and certainly it would be impossible to hold anything out-of-doors in the 100 degree heat. So we visit with old friends, see fabulous quilts, shop, and enjoy the show and fabulous door prizes. What is your favorite part of a quilt show?

No comments: