Tuesday, August 28, 2018

A quick catch-up

I haven't been posting as I normally do. It's really beginning to irk me that I've gotten lazy about reading and posting. Hopefully now that the kids are back in school, and there will be less babysitting, I'll be able to pick up the pace.

In the meantime, there are a few happenings that I want to share with you. One is that I visited a friend and saw her great-grandmother's Sunbonnet Sue quilt hanging in a guest bedroom. It's in pristine condition, which tells me that it was put away for special guests.  Isn't it sweet? And to have been hand quilted by her great-grandmother! She told me that it is over 100 years old. What a treasure.



The second thing is that Richard helped me to remake the design wall. Check it out. It has two parts. 

The top is a flannel fabric with one inch lines. I found it in my mom's fabrics. It's old and discolored but for the most part intact. I had to piece it together but did a pretty good job of matching the lines. 

The idea is that I'll be able to use the lines to keep my blocks straight as I put them up. I may even be able to use them to measure blocks and strips. That we'll have to wait to see.


The bottom part is a vinyl tablecloth. I've had it for a long time so the fold lines are seriously ugly. They may relax over time, not that it matters much. What does matter is that the design board is about 84" square. I need a step to reach the very top and it goes to the floor, but there are times when I need that much space. I'll keep a step-stool in the play area that Milly can sit on when she plays dolls. 

1 comment:

Karen S said...

How lovely to see the Sue quilt in such amazing condition. Great to see it is treasured.
And well done with he design wall. It will be good to see how the lines work.