Sunday, September 9, 2018

Bipolar 2: Structure {an art quilt series} finished!

Just as I bounce around in life, I'm bouncing from one bipolar art quilt to another. (See #3 here) At this point I have four either complete or almost there. However, par for the course, I am not finishing them in order. I'm starting them in order. I work on whichever is calling me. And that is between all the things that call me away--babysitting, parent sitting, family, sewing, and so on.



For some reason I felt a need to be very literal with this one. Structure is a best practice for living with bipolar disorder. Keeping things in order and knowing which are priorities helps in decision-making and fends off those overwhelming feelings of disorder.



Jacquie Gering had a quilt show or presentation of some kind in Houston, perhaps, a few years ago. I was wondering around extremely tired and saw a group of people sitting for this presentation. I had no idea what was going on and, truthfully, didn't care. I slipped into a chair with the intention of trying to stay awake. In just a few minutes I was sitting up, amazed. I loved the quilts. So many ideas! So many possibilities! So little structure!  

Ahh, yes. And that's where most of it all stayed. I returned home so full of stuff in my head that it got all muddled up. It happens that way every year. As I work I remember some small detail and pull it to the forefront of my thinking and play with it. That's how this quilt came about. 



Remembering one of Jacquie's motifs, the lines in "unparallel," I began thinking about how structure is important in the life of someone with bipolar tendencies. And so, here I am. 


Link Ups!
AmandaJean's Crazy Mom Quilts

5 comments:

Tami Von Zalez said...

If you are doing art quilts, you might be interested in the Art with Fabric Blog hop at http://tweloquilting.blogspot.com/
She is setting up the schedule for November.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What an interesting quilting journey. Which one will be finish next?!

Karen S said...

I do like the way you play with your quilts. And of course you do not have to remember what others did if you just want to play and create your own.

Kaja said...

Well now, I like this a lot: the way the little building balances against all those organic/wavy shapes and the restrained colour palette. I think you have done a great job of conveying your ideas in fabric form.

Barb said...

Love this!