Friday, August 18, 2023

How Do Scissors Disappear? Discovery Edition

 


 

I fudged it a little and added more blue fabric, but it was beginning to feel like the shirts were swimming in the ocean. (Note to self: don’t watch Adrift if using lots of blue background.)

Anyway, the second quilt came along smoothly, and I finished the top in record time. Again, however, I spent extra time on the quilting. It’s just too tempting to add those little touches, a spiderweb for the Spiderman shirt, Christmas trees, pumpkins, valentines, etc. It’s my way of making the quilt extra-special and also keeps me from mindless stipples.

Don’t get me wrong, I love stippling. It’s the fastest, easiest, cheapest of all the ways one can quilt. However, it’s this mindless: I stippled my scissors into the quilt! Yes, you read right! It was all quite innocent and really could happen to anyone. But if you know me, you expect something like this. Anyway, I needed to adjust the batting as I was getting to the end of the quilting process. Scissors are like pens: I always have one in my hand. And I put them down anywhere, so I lose them often. This, of course, means that I was not at all concerned when I couldn’t find my little scissors that velcro to the machine. (Who knows where I put them down, right?)

Left, digging my scissors from under the batting. Right, the escapee is recovered.

I was zipping along and discovered a bulge in the batting, which I thought was really the batting. That is, until nothing would budge or give way to the quilting. As soon as I began an investigation, I discovered that missing pair of scissors. Luckily, I also have a seam ripper velcroed to the machine. I’m still laughing at myself.

No comments: