Saturday, August 11, 2018

Meet Marty Mason

On Thursday I finally got around to writing about our August meeting. In that post I teased everyone with a little about our special guest, Marty Mason, and promised more today. So here we are. Marty is a quilter from North Louisiana who blogs over at Marty's Fiber Musings. I contacted her a while ago and asked her to come to one of our meetings to give a trunk show. 

Wow, did she surprise! I knew she'd do a great job--she's given trunk shows and workshops before--but even though I'd attended one of her presentations, I am still in a little bit of show at how well-received she was.


Let me start at the beginning--which would be lunch. You know how eating is important to Louisianans. I should have been taking guild members who give presentations to lunch on their day to present. Well, I'm not good at entertaining, so you can imagine that I've been derelict in my duties. To make things right with those ladies I planned a nice lunch at one of our local restaurants and invited Marty to join us. Everything planned for the same day meant having to pull myself together only once. Doable in other words.



I couldn't choose a favorite, but it
would be a toss up between this gray...

and this white/neutral.
Lunch was a hit; everyone had a great time; getting to meet Marty early was a special treat. Yay! Redeemed! We left Bunkie and went to the museum in Cottonport for our meeting and got going right on time. 

Once the business part of the meeting was over, we settled down for Marty's presentation. She showed her quilts; told stories about some of them; described the inspiration for others; and entertained us with her humor. Every quilt is unique and interesting in its own way. I kept thinking "I like this one," "This is my favorite," "I have to try to make this." 




  

Now don't think I am one to gush and stutter and aw shucks over every quilt. I have my own tastes and I know what I like. Truthfully, there were a few that while I wouldn't necessarily want to make them, I still found interesting and unique. Surely the one with all the curved seams is more work than I am willing to give, but it's a stunner because of that. 




In the end I can say that bringing my bloggy friend in was a grand idea. But if every cloud has a silver lining, it also has a little rain--now I'm expected to continue my good work. As if I can entertain again next month. 

2 comments:

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Thanks for the eye candy, Mary! I'm not fond of entertaining either, mainly because I'm not very good at it. The quilts are terrific!
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches

Marty Mason said...

Mary, you are making me feel as if I (and my quilts) are rock stars on stage.
It was such a delightful day spent with Cotton Quilters Guild. I'm still smiling.