Monday, August 13, 2018

The Forest: a novel by Edward Rutherfurd {book review}


Edward Rutherfurd || Russka

It's Monday morning and I am finally realizing that I have not posted Pin It Weekly and Sunday Quilt Inspiration! I'd say that is because I just didn't have enough time, thank you doctor's appointments

Richard had two tests and an appointment; I had two appointments, and the dreaded look-inside-the-entire-human-digestive-system scopes. Luckily I've blocked out (or drugged out) every possible moment of our time with doctors. 

On the happy side, all of the waiting room sitting meant I got to read! I'm almost in the middle of Edward Rutherfurd's The Forest.

The forest: a novel by Edward Rutherfurd (Book)

Here's a blurb on Rutherfurd's book:  " AS ENTERTAINING AS "SARUM" AND RUTHERFURD' S OTHER SWEEPING NOVEL OF BRITISH HISTORY, "LONDON,"" "- The Boston Globe"""" Engaging . . . A sprawling tome that combines fact with fiction and covers 900 years in the history of New Forest, a 100,000-acre woodland in southern England . . . Rutherfurd sketches the histories of six fictional families, ranging from aristocrats to peasants, who have lived in the forest for generations. . . . But the real success is in how Rutherfurd paints his picture of the wooded enclave with images of treachery and violence, as well as magic and beauty." "- The New York Post""

Edward Rutherfurd || RusskaI think, however, that the best acclaim I can give is that his works are on my reading list, and I rarely deviate from classic fiction. Thus far I've read Russka, London, and Sarum which means I have four more works Paris, New York, Rebels of Ireland, and Princes of Ireland. I love his on-going historical sagas. 


It's rather like living through centuries of time and, even better, I am a character in each account. So as I read about a family during a particular time of New Forest, I am the main character. The chapter closes; we time-travel 100 or so years, and in just paragraphs I become a new character in a new time. The setting is still New Forest, but perhaps the location has moved to a different area of the Forest. 


Edward Rutherfurd || SarumRutherfurd continues to use the details of place, however. So by looking at the map provided in the front of the book, I am able to keep my bearings and follow the overall story. Rutherford's motif of describing a character trait in a particular family and continuing to use it through the generations of that family is my favorite thematic structure. This trick is especially useful in remembering the family and its connections to other characters. 


Rutherfurd is my favorite current writer. I have no doubt that his works, with their historical accounts, elevated writing style, and interesting characters, will become part of the classic writing canon. Do pick one up and give yourself an opportunity to enjoy historical fiction that is as much history as fiction. 

These book pins can be found on my board, "bookworm, books."

No comments: