Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Meet Foster

 Foster is the bird in this photo, a white dove that our son Rory rescued after a storm a few weeks ago.  It was not able to fly very well, we think, because it was still a fledgling and the storm blew it out of the nest or tree.  Whatever the reason for its inability to fly, it's quite safe here.  We normally keep it in a cage, but we do take it out daily to exercise and re-learn how to fly.
                                                                 My hope is that it will gain enough strength to survive in the yard in another week or so.  We've had it for a week or two and it's really beginning to fly quite well.  Of course, if the puppies are antagonizing it, Foster tends to fly better!                 

Lane really enjoy holding and petting Foster last weekend.  Once he understood that it really takes only one finger for Foster to perch, Lane was much more accommodating.  He laughed at the "tickily" feeling of Foster walking from side to side on Lane's hand and arm and was impressed with Foster's ability to balance when Lane walked around the house.


Last weekend we spent some time cleaning flowerbeds and working in the yard.  Richard cut grass, again, and I pulled weeds.  It's amazing how big the weeds are already.  While I was out in the heat, I thought I'd take a few photos of my daylilies.  I have a new one that a good friend gave me that is almost open.  I'm really anxious to see it in bloom since I know it's different than any that I already have.

At one time I knew the names of every daylily in my beds, but the labels have broken or been pulled out, so I just know a few.


This beautiful double was barely open when I took the pic early in the morning.  It's really a deep burgundy and one of my favorite.


 This pink reminds me of my mom.  She loved the soft pastel colors.  I planted a few fans of this pink for her.  Mom was with me when I bought the plant, and the lady gave me a few extra fans so I could share with momma.  I haven't seen it bloom at mom's but it's possible that the weeds took over and choked it out.  The weeds are pretty bad at the old place.


The last picture that I managed to get last weekend is of this yellow.  I don't remember the name of the daylily, but it's quite common.  I have lots of these in one bed and a few in another place.  Richard loves it because it blooms so much.  I've enjoyed it because it is very prolific and I could separate the fans every couple of years.

I also took a couple of pictures of my angel trumpets.  Here's a close up of this sweet smelling flower.

And so you can get an idea of how many flowers are on one plant, here's another picture.  Note that there's a yellow flower right in the middle...that flower is on the same plant as the pink ones.  They start out white, turn yellow just before opening and then turn pink.  I took this picture a few days ago and the yellow has opened, but it's still yellow!  That happens sometimes.  I don't know why, it just does. 

Do you see the line in this picture?  There's a couple of lines in the picture of the pink daylily, also.  Any idea how or why this happens?  I have no clue, but it's occurring in only some of the photos I take.  I'd like to figure out how to stop doing it, but I'd probably have a better chance if I knew what I'm doing in the first place. I'd love to know how to fix this!

No comments: