Monday, August 26, 2019

Sunday Quilt Inspiration: Crosses

I think I've used crosses for SQI before, but there's a reason for a repeat: I have made the cross. Well, Richard made the cross, I just put my two cents in. First off, I chose the wood from some of the scraps in his shed. He figured out the woodworking and built it, sanded it, clear coated it, buffed it and turned it over to me.

I designed and cut some foil adhesive paper in gunmetal to decorate it with a Bible verse from Psalm 86:11. "Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth." 

\After several attempts I was finally able to get the foil cut deeply enough to weed out the negative space in and around the letters. Then I tried to figure out how I wanted to set them on the cross. There was much anguish over that. 

Firstly, I'm not a graphic designer so I have no idea what I'm doing. Secondly, I could see the finished project. Thirdly, the wood is cypress with natural peckers or holes in the grain. I wanted to keep the natural formation of the wood but had to avoid those holes.


Finally, I worked up the nerve to finish the piece. The moment I looked at it in the viewfinder of the camera, I knew that I'd have to fix those letters that I had so carefully stuck to the wood.

"O Lord" is definitely too much on the left. An hour later--picking up each letter without damaging it is tedious work--I had moved the letters over to the left. 

Better, not thrilling, but I couldn't chance moving them again. Once was harrowing enough.

So a quick trip outside to try to take decent pictures turned up this. One against a tree and one against the green wall of the closed in back porch. I like the natural color of the cross against that green. Richard may have to make another. 

This one will go to the church fair in a couple of week to be auctioned at our silent auction. I plan to add a quilt, and a well-known local artist is donating one of her beautiful paintings. One of my duties is to set up and "run" the auction on Saturday and Sunday then announce and contact the winners.


So now a couple of cross quilts to help inspire you: 
image 0

Image result for Free Christian Quilt PatternsLog Cabin Christian Cross-multiple sizes | Bluprint


Studio Dragonfly: Purple Cross Storm at Sea Quilt

plus-quilt

crazy mom quiltsWondrous Cross quilted wall hanging pattern by In The Doghouse Designs


Modern Cross Quilt  June 2015

This last one is my cross quilt made in 2015 and sold at our local quilt show. You can see on my "Trunk Show" board.


No comments: