Thursday, August 22, 2019

Red is a Neutral becomes... finish

Another Red Feather. So named because, though there were other titles in the running, this quilt wanted red feather quilting. And more red feathers. And more red feathers. In fact, every inch of red is quilted in feathers, with a few scrolls to break up the monotony. 
Detail of the back...just enough
pattern to make the worst of
the quilting less noticeable.



This one serves in all manner of challenges: the Cotton Quilters' Guild block-of-the-month, in which different quilters presented a block or two from January through July, and as the AHIQ "Red Is a Neutral" challenge. 


With encouragement from Kaja and Ann at Ad Hoc Improv Quilts, I decided to combine the two. So here we are with, finally, a red quilt made from guild blocks.


Detail of some of the feathers in the red sections.
Like everyone else I started in January and worked to keep up, especially since I set the parameters for the BOM. This setting just seemed to want to be this. I tried other ideas: putting the center medallion on point and surrounding it in red, kicking it off center and adding red there, considering making other blocks to work it all out. It was not having one bit of my ideas. Then flying geese flew in and saved the day. 



Detail of some scrolls
When I say finished, I mean quilted, bound, labeled. Ready to go straight to the quilt show if it were due tomorrow! Which is good because I have tons of things to remember and to do between now and the show.

The quilt has an off-center medallion surrounded by 12 inch blocks. I decided to keep the quilting in the blocks simple since there's so much fancy stuff outside of them. I used an improv style and decided things as I drove the long-arm. 

That is the best way for me to be really happy at the machine. Just play, figure it out as I trip along, change my mind. I often just stop somewhere along the way and search my phone, or cards, or books for new motifs. I've even walked to the bedroom to look at the quilt on my bed. That's my kind of improv!









Quilt Stats


Name:
Another Red Feather


Size:
54" X 54"


Fabrics:
Fabric yardage from stash


Pattern:
Guild BOM block patterns


Backing:
Linens from mom's stash


Batting:
100% Cotton


Binding:
Red yardage to match background


Quilting:
Feathers and straight lines


Notes:
Made to meet AHIQ “red is a neutral”
and Cotton Quilters’ BOM challenges


Getting back to LINK UPS!
I've been missing out on link ups for a while but 
decided to remedy that. At the same time 
is taking over Finished Or Not Fridays 
from Myra at Busy Hands Quilts
Best of luck, Alycia!

12 comments:

Kim said...

Tripping along the quilty path and playing as you go is the best fun. This quilt is striking. Love the design and oh how gorgeous the quilting is.

Vicki in MN said...

This is a very striking quilt, pieced and quilted just right.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

It is fantastic!!! And yay you for the full finish - it should be shown off at the quilt show - so YAy!! Love the feather quilting all over it!

Rebecca Grace said...

What a beautiful finish, Mary! I love the idea of red as a neutral. The block combinations and feather quilting are great. Congratulations!

Jayne said...

This combination of color is gorgeous! Beautifully quilted too!

Andrea @ Mouse in My Pocket said...

Yea for having a finish! That red is gorgeous. What will you use this quilt for after the show?

Vivian said...

I love it when a quilt sends you on a journey! It's clear the quilt led you to where it wanted to finish. Looks wonderful and it sounds like you had fun getting there (even if sometimes it didn't feel that way during the process)!

Mary Marcotte said...

Thanks for the sweet comments, everyone. I think I've visited all of your blogs and left comments. You are all so very talented! I'm honored that you stopped by.
~~ Mary

Mary Marcotte said...

Sorry Andrea, I didn't answer your question. I rarely know what I'm doing who, what, where, or why I start making a quilt! I just need a creative outlet and quilting fulfills that. Eventually I'll figure it out and the quilt will go to a great home. But first, it goes to the quilt show!

Karen S said...

I have been away from the computer for a little while so am just catching up on posts. Perfect timing to see your red quilt. I do enjoy see red as the neutral. I like the way it makes you think abut the use of colour in your projects.
Love all the quilting you have done as well.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Mary I am your newest follower hope you will visit and follow me too.
Wow glad I found your blog your quilt is beautiful,I love the colours that you have used and how clever you are to quilt it yourself,well done. Hope your day is a good one xx

Preeti said...

Bright, Bold and Beautiful!!! And it is finished which makes it the BEST!!!