Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Sewing Mistakes (cont.)

Yesterday I posted this article about sewing mistakes that even seasoned sewists common make. The idea is to help you avoid some of those mistakes. Caring for your machine and tools and choosing the right needle all seem like a given, right? I am ashamed to admit it, but I've been guilty of all of them. 

You get on a roll and just keep going. You know there's dust clogging up the gears, but in just a minute... Or I think I hear a funny sound, I'll finish this then take a look... Or, my favorite, there are no kids around, so if I leave something unattended... (can we say open rotary cutter?)

Well y'all, really, there are no excuses. We have to maintain our stuff.

So I thought I'd share a few more mistakes and bad habits that you can work on correcting.

Patterns and measuring and those kinds of things. Firstly, if you find a pattern that fits and you understand the directions, stick to that pattern writer or company when possible. I've run across so many indie patterns that simply are not well-written. I'm not talking about the spelling and grammar, though that's important. (I'm an English teacher, after all.) I'm talking about the directions. It's a skill set taught in colleges. Pattern writers should have knowledge and experience in pattern making and technical writing.

Now that said, sometimes you don't have options. You have to go with what you have. Well then, measure. Measure again. Measure every part of the body that is going to fill out the project: bust, waist, hips, arms, back, shoulders, you get the idea.  Write everything down as you go, not just numbers, for example, inseam 33", hip seam 40". I start at the top of the body and move down as necessary.

Check the measurements against the pattern pieces and make adjustments. If you're nervous about ruining your fabric, make a muslin mock-up using large stitches. Once you're comfortable that the pattern is correct, take out the stitches and use the muslin pieces as you new pattern. I have pieces of muslin that I used for a wedding dress some years ago. It still has the measurements and my notes written in Sharpie right on the fabric. 

Pressing and Ironing. These terms seem interchangeable, but nope, not the case. Pressing is an up and down motion trying not to move the iron over the project. Ironing is sliding that iron around, trying to get wrinkles out of fabric or setting chemicals (dye, starch, etc.) into the fabric. Read instructions and make sure you're using the correct temperature. 

To steam or not to steam, that is the question. Not for me. I keep a spritzer bottle at the ironing board. No water ever goes into my iron. Granted I have a steamer, but that's not the reason. It's because I purchase the cheapest iron with automatic shutoff that I can find. They last years and they never have an accident. They can't pee, if they don't drink. 

Your skill set versus learning new techniques. It might seem like a no brainer, but there's something to be said here. If you're just starting out, start small. Avoid frustration by slowly build up your skills. Keep things interesting by, yes, building up your skills. 

If you're a quilter, start out with four-patches. Wedding ring is for years after you've made more curves than you can count. 

If you are sewing garments and other projects, start with elastic waist shorts, aprons, pj bottoms. Graduate to zippers and make tons of small zippered bags. 

Keep in mind that different fabrics move and perform in different ways. When you've made several items with cotton, move to linen, then silk, then chiffon. 

It takes time, patience and great desire to learn the basics and to build skills. Just because you own a pair of running shoes doesn't mean you're ready to run a marathon. My sister trained for three months to go from walking to completing a half-marathon, and she wasn't trying to win!

No comments: