Sunday, October 11, 2020

Sunday Quilt Inspiration: leaves of three, let me be...

 Has anyone ever told you that phrase in a effort to keep you out of poison ivy or poison sumac or poison oak? Yes, I know of three vines to which I am highly allergic. 


I watch for the leaves, but I also know where they are most likely to thrive and know the itching difference. Yes, it's possible to tell. Poison ivy blisters and will release a clear liquid that will spread the itching. It's pretty miserable.


Poison oak itches more and feels like it gets deeper into your tissues. There are no obvious blisters but the skin tears easily. Thankfully, it doesn't last as long as the other two. 

Poison sumac is a mean one. It itches the least, but the itching lasts for about three weeks. 

Since I'm all into this already, I'll tell you what I do for treating all of them. If I discover that I've been exposed, I wash my hands, arms, feet and legs with soap and water immediately, using plain water if that's all that's available. I want to get as much of the plant oil off of me as possible. Once I get home, I shower in cool water using a scrub specifically formulated for this and follow up with an anti-itch cream. The picture above shows the particular ones I like.


I keep both at home or in the camper, but it's necessary to use both a couple of times a day, so a trip to any pharmacy is generally part of the treatment. Calamine lotion? It smells like childhood, so it gives physiological help, but that's about it.

 Whew, that was a lot of information to get here--to quilts with leaves (of any number).












 Prayers that you survived Hurricane Delta safely and without too much damage. We were very lucky and had only a few limbs to pick up in the wooded area near our house. That's where the poison ivy lives, so you now know where I got this idea. If you're allergic to leaves of three, how do you treat it? Any idea that may shorten the misery is welcome. Have a wonderful week, everyone.

No comments: