Monday, September 22, 2014

Historic Church of 1776

Recently my sister and I had an opportunity to visit Baton Rouge and saw a sign for a historic church in St. Gabriel. Since we both love churches and I had not seen this one, we decided to "visit."  


The problem with visiting is that the church is closed and going inside is not an option.  Another problem was the gloom and rain.  We didn't even get out of the car.  I snapped a few photos from the window and got fairly wet doing that.  In the end, the pics aren't as bad as I expected.  Ten minutes after arriving we were back on our way.

The new church near the historic one.
Still, I am glad we took a few minutes to go by.  I'd have been pretty upset with myself if we hadn't, and I have a great memory of spending time with Angie.


The historic marker near the church explains when the church was built.  Begun in 1774 and finished in 1776 the church is as old as the nation.  However, it was not part of the United States until the Louisiana Purchase in 1803.  


After some research, I can tell you that the doors and windows are in the lancet style--having a narrow, sharply pointed arch.  I can also tell you that finding information on such a door is not easy, but that's a different post.




If you ever have the opportunity to visit Baton Rouge, hop down to St. Gabriel Church.  It won't take much of your time, but it is worth your while to see such a pretty, little historic church.  

No comments: