Sunday, April 9, 2017

Sunday Quilt Inspiration: W O R D S

So true. Sew'n Wild Oaks Quilting Blog: Another Day at the Nursery: I heard an interview on the radio today while I was cutting out a project to take with me to an upcoming retreat. A song-writer (sorry that I missed his name) was talking about how he struggled for almost a month to write a song for a particular singer. In the interview he said something along the lines of not having the words for the song he wanted to write. "I have words. I have lots of words. I just couldn't find them," he said. 

That statement reminded me of my own epiphany about words. A co-worker and I were talking about what we read, and I said I read just about anything. I gave her examples: Popular Mechanics, Smithsonian, anything quilting, blogs, books, articles I find on my phone, and so on. She laughed saying she does not spend that much time reading. And without thinking, I said, "I just need the words." That struck her as funny, but I was serious. I've since thought about it quite a bit and decided I do need words. So here are a few rarely used words...

Today's Word of the Day is flumadiddle. Learn its definition, pronunciation, etymology and more. Join over 19 million fans who boost their vocabulary every day.:

Guys this is Sam and Dean in the Impala that has been mistaken for a hipster photo how has no on noticed this: Dictionary.com’s Word of the Day - ataraxia - a state of freedom from emotional disturbance and anxiety.:




Maybe not a name but I find this interesting and I think I have this. I love thunder and lightening.:

(pronoun) me; people suffering from severe chronic intractable pain.:

A concept to potentially live by in 2015 - Sophrosyne - it's an ancient Greek concept of an ideal of excellence of character and soundness of mind, which when combined in one well-balanced individual leads to other qualities, such as temperance, moderation, prudence, and self-control...x: peiskos (n.) the feeling you get when you sit in front of a fireplace and enjoy its warmth.:




This totally defines me… NYCTOPHILIA, my new word of the day.:


And would you like words on quilts? Well, here are a few from my "heart, quilts" board...

Share a good song in a quilt.: What a neat quilt. I love the idea for someone who looked forward to a birth but didn't get to see the little one grow up. Makes me think of Uncle Dave who i never got to meet.

Secret Diary 21: "To a different rhythm" 2005 ~ Angela Moll  "I learned to sew about the time I learned to write. Today I keep on writing & sewing: I keep journals, compile field notes, & I make quilts. It often strikes me how very similar those activities are. How the sentences snake along the page in much the same way as a line of stitches through the fabric. In my current body of work I use screen printing as a means of bringing together my love for long hand writing & for the stitched li...:

Nothing Lost by Paul Loebach - felted wool quilt patterned after an ancient biblical proverb adopted by American quilters in the civil war era.: Elm Street Quilts: Words are - quilt top is finished!!!:

Four letter words of happiness:

QuiltCon 2015 (70) // lol: "Don't Make Me Break out the Flying Monkeys" by QuiltDivaJulie:

But first TEA… | kviltstina:

Use All The Crayons in the Box quilt:

And just for fun, the last word on the subject...
Vocabulary Word:  Proquiltinating:  working on quilts when you should be doing laundry, or dishes, or picking kids up from school.:

3 comments:

jenclair said...

What a great post! I love all of those words for such specific circumstances. And quilts with words are "da bomb!" (a phrase that probably began its decline two decades ago) I'm busy seeking sophrosyne. :)

Preeti said...

I wasn't nice to begin with and then (to make matters worse) I started quilting - :-D
Love all the quilts with words. Thank you for sharing :-)
Hugs,
Preeti.

Mary at Fleur de Lis Quilts said...

If anyone can appreciate words, it's has got to be you, Jenclair. Your letters and books and blog are terribly impressive.

Preeti, you and I have got to figure out what that first line means. lol We'll talk in email. Don't these quilts inspire you to add words to your own quilts? I just have to narrow the words down to a few. Hmmm....