Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Of guilds and churches and crazy

I've been quite busy since our return from Houston. It seems that I can't catch up enough to remember what I want to write about. I am, after all, attempting to document some of my quilting life and a little of my life outside of quilting. In other words, quilting is not my only thing! It will, however, be more of my thing. 


Let me explain. The day after we returned from Houston (and one of the reasons we drove home on Sunday) the Cotton Quilters' Guild held its November meeting. It was rather important, since the agenda included finding out how much revenue the quilt show earned, how we'd spend that money, and voting for new officers. 


I had a show and share (the tee shirt quilt I wrote about here), but so did the other Mary in our club. Look how pretty her quilt top is. 

I don't remember exactly how much the show earned but probably shouldn't give that info anyway. We did vote to use some of the money to attend the Gulf States Guild Show in Slidell on April 14. I'm considering perhaps submitting a quilt or two for that show.

Then, of course, it was time to choose new officers. I think know I was railroaded. Nominated, seconded, voted, unanimous! And in the snap of the fingers, I was to become the new president. My reign presidency begins in January. Now, I will admit, I expected to be nominated. After all, the current president had warned me mentioned it in passing. 

What I did not expect was that no one else nominated anyone else. I was poorly prepared. I am ill prepared and likely will not get better. If the Cotton Quilters' Guild goes to heck in a handbasket, it certainly is no fault of Mary Marcotte. That's my excuse story and I'm sticking to it. It occurred to me that I don't even know the names of all the members. That thought came along well after I'd left the meeting, mind you. I have this uncanny penchant for sicking thoughts while I can fix do something any time it's too late. So I take use Scarlett O'Hara's plan, "I can’t think about that right now. If I do, I’ll go crazy. I’ll think about that tomorrow." (from Gone with the Wind) I suppose I'll think about the guild tomorrow.

Different Story (to avoid thinking)
Something of interest occurred in Houston. My friends and sisters and nieces and I were planning to meet up at the quilt show. We didn't. But we had to meet up because we were sharing the same hotel. This church steeple is so tall it can be seen from several areas around the convention center. We decided (while talking on the phone) to meet in front of the church since we could all see it. I pause here to say that my family is Catholic, but I had no idea what my friend's religion is. 

While parked in front of the church, I read a sign aloud because I do that some oftentimes. Angie (my sister) actually listened to me and heard 1) wwere sitting in front of Catholic church and 2) mass would begin in five minutes. "Wait! We need to attend mass! We can do that now." 



 




In three minutes we were parked, paid the meter, and were walking inside while calling Lee (the other sister) and her girls to tell them to come to mass to find us. Yes, Pam (oh, my poor friend) got caught in the fray and attended mass with five members of my crazy family. 









Pam was a trooper. It turns out she grew up in the Catholic church, so she was able to follow along and didn't mind being imposed upon. At least she said she didn't mind. Everyone even waited patiently after mass while I took pictures because I love churches. Patient but hungry so I got only a few pictures but some pretty good ones.

I suppose the moral of this post is that you never know what might happen when you're a Bourque girl. (Bourque is my maiden name.) And when you're with any of the Bourque family members, you are just along for the ride.



The church is absolutely beautiful, so thankfully, this particular ride ended a bit closer to heaven! 

1 comment:

Karen S said...

Well, congrats on becoming president! Looks like you have a busy year ahead. Good luck!