Friday, May 8, 2020

Magnolia II ~~ art quilt finish

When I posted my finish on Tuesday, I knew that I was close to posting about this painting as well. It was complete, but drying seems to take forever. Then there are those photos that intimidate me so. But I'm persistent, if nothing else, and have something to share. 


Several people have asked me how I create these since it's an odd way to paint. So here's the short version. Start with a subject that can be isolated easily, so it almost has to be a physical object. Create a background using fabric (scraps work nicely). I think of it as making a quilt top. 


After loading the quilt sandwich onto the longarm, I plan and prep the painting area with gesso. Because you aren't painting the entire panel, plan carefully. I pencil in and quilt the outline of the subject. 


Now we're ready to move on to painting. I alternate between painting and quilting. I've discovered that one informs the other, and I tend to work improvisationally.  


An example of that improvisational work is this bud in the upper right corner. I decided to include it as I was painting the large magnolia and wanted it to be a secondary element, almost not noticeable. While I was working on it, I realized that the green stem receded into the background, so I repainted it in lighter browns that contrast more with the greens, yellows and browns of the background. 


And just like that, weeks later there's a painting ready for framing. Richard is wonderful about making frames, so as soon as trim and measure the work, he builds a frame--to 1/16 of an inch. (As if I'm going to manage that math!) Once a work is framed, I clean the painting by removing threads and touch up the paint as needed. How's that for a "quick" explanation? 

1 comment:

Karen S said...

It is a fascinating technique. Love the result.