Thursday, March 27, 2014

Spring Asparagus

I haven't added a new recipe in a long time since I rarely cook these days.  Since Richard had neck surgery in December, he is home much more than I am, and he's taken over most of the duties, including cooking.  


However, yesterday when I got home I thought about checking on my asparagus.  I should have thought about them sooner: some of the shoots were a bit overgrown and woody.  I cut everything out-- perfect or chewy--and brought it in to wash and cook.  Here's my version of asparagus soup using every piece of some pretty tough asparagus.



Creme of Asparagus Soup
Chop all the woody pieces into 1/2 inches and toss into a medium-sized saucepan with two cups of chicken broth mixed with a cup of water and put to boiling.  After 45 minutes of slow boiling, put the stock in the food processor and pulse a few seconds, then strain squeezing the shreds as much as possible. Simmer the broth and one can of condensed milk for 10 minutes.  Mix a teaspoon of corn starch with 1/4 cup water until well dissolved and slowly add to broth.  Chop the rest of asparagus into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces and add to soup.  Simmer for 10-15 minutes until asparagus is crisp tender.  Add sea salt to taste and serve hot.

Mary

No comments: