Friday, August 25, 2017

Baby Amelia Bibs ~~ finishes

taking selfies in a new bib 
Our granddaughter Dusti often works on weekend nights, and needs a babysitter. In come the grandparents, ready to cuddle, change, feed and bottle the little stinker. She seems to grow and change quite a bit from one week to the next. Last week she pushed herself backward in her stroller. This week she can push forward and pretty much go where she wants. 


Milli is a cutie! But she drools, spits, and blows bubbles non-stop. Which means she needs a clean bib quite often. So that's what DeeDee made early this week. In fact, I made four. I really like these little bibs. A friend bought one at a craft sale and asked another friend to make a few. That second friend asked me to work on a pattern. 



I made quite a few changes, but the basic idea is that there are straps so the baby's arms have something of an armhole. The straps prevent the baby from pulling the bib off, and the width and length of the bib really help catch the dribble.



It's wide enough to go under the arms a little and cover the shoulders. I bought a cotton terry from Lola Pink while there last week and also these cute baby prints. Can you believe I had no baby prints in the stash? 



Before making the first bib, I figured out how to avoid using bias to close every seam. It was bulky and looked messy unless the stitches were exact. I wasn't happy about either one, so I changed the design to add some length and to almost eliminate the bias, though it does still form the straps and a tie for the back. If I make more, I'll change the ties to velcro or snaps. Otherwise, I'm loving the four I've made. 


Linking up with

6 comments:

Preeti said...

Millie is so adorable - drool and bubbles. Dustin is so lucky to have you. You not only dote on her but also make the cutest, most functional bibs. I am sure she also has blankets and a quilt from GGMA. Now, where is the promised pattern - cause we are drooling too :-D

Karen S said...

I think the bibs looks great. Love seeing the bright, fun fabrics.
And I think bubs is a cutie, too.

Mary Marcotte said...

Well thanks ladies. I didn't realize how much fun a great-grandbaby can be. We're all set up: teenagers (four of those), children (three), and a baby (Millie). Then, of course, there are those married ones in their thirties.

And yes, Preeti, she has a quilt already. She came in 80 degree weather in April and it's still in the 90s so the quilt won't see the baby for a while yet, but it's coming.

Sandy Panagos said...

Awwww. So cute! The bibs are too! :-)

somethingrosemade14@blogspot.com said...

These are awfully cute and this grandmother is going to have to make some too. I'll need to find my bapron my friend gave to me long before grandchildren were in the picture. Thanks for sharing. BTW, we're in Yellowstone and it's beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Interesting bibs and very different! So cute and clever.