Thursday, August 31, 2017

Purple and gold pillows ~~ 4 finishes!

I mentioned earlier that I'll have a booth in the craft show held during our quilt fair. Since I'd be sewing something anyway, I figured I'd quilt up a few pillow covers for the booth. In fact, all of the sewing I'll do between now and then will be items for the booth. 

The pillows match but are definitely not the same. I can't make two exact of anything. (That's rather boring.) So on  one the quilt there are a few small black spacers that separate parts of the pillow. The quilting on that one changes with each section. Notice the very thin line in the tiger stripe. It's a one inch strip folded in half and stitched into the seam.


The second pillow uses the same fabrics--except the black--but the sections are sewn in the same way that I make fabric with scraps. In fact, I used most of the smaller scraps left from the other three pillows. The graffiti quilting has many changing motifs repeated across the top. It's a fun design until I can't think of the next motif. I keep lots of inspiration quilts close at hand. And use them often!


These two pillows add to the ones I made a couple of weeks ago but didn't get to write about. 

The first one is just a color-block purple and gold using the same four fabrics that I used for all of the quilts. The matchstick quilting seemed to take forever. But I had fun playing with the yellow, purple and white thread. Notice how I made the one yellow chevron stand out by using yellow thread on it but purple thread on the purple chevron. Cool, right?

And the last one was actually the second one I made. Same idea of using bits and strips to create a unique pillow cover. The quilting: easy peasy crosshatch using my walking foot. It was so easy that I kind of felt like it was cheating. Honestly, I planned to use straight lines but decided it needed more. I think more was the answer, don't you?


To give you an idea of how they are alike and different at the same time, we had a little photo session this evening. I waited all day for a break in the nasty hurricane rain, but that didn't happen. I finally gave up, turned lots of lights, and snapped away. 


Can't you see these piled up on the sofa during a few purple and gold games? Or they might fit in a mancave. Marley came into the studio while I was taking pictures and practically begged for one. 





I guess I can make a few more if these sell at the craft fair. Christmas is around the corner!

7 comments:

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

These pillows are adorable! My hubby's alma mater's, University of Washington's, colors are purple and gold. I know a few family members that would enjoy these on the sofa. Good luck at the craft show! Andrea

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Wonderful pillow selection, I love the colours! Thanks for sharing on 'sew stitch snap SHARE'.

Preeti said...

Very stylish and modern pillows. Wish you all the best for the craft fair.

Karen S said...

The pillows look great. No reason why they would all need to be the same. I think a lot of people enjoy them being different. They are a great idea for your booth!

Η Πευκοβελόνα said...

They are really cool! Fabulous color combos!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Love all the different quilting you did on them!!!

Mary Marcotte said...

Hey everyone! Leave you for a day or two and you fill my comment box. :) Thank you. I'll visit everyone individually this week.

Zafira, I couldn't find an email address or blog, but I did find The Quilt Codex on youtube.com. Oh, I like it!