Sunday, August 27, 2017

Sunday Quilt Inspiration: COLLEGIATE

quilts+made+with+panels | novelty quilt using panels and squares: theme University of Utah ...College classes in our area either just started or are starting this week--that is, provided that they are not in the wake of Hurricane Harvey. While we're hearing a great deal about the flooding in Houston (and well we should) there's not much being said about the surrounding areas, some quite a distance away. 


I just completed this t-shirt quilt using my fan shirts from my daughters collegiate gymnastics career.  4 years, 4 shirts--so I filled with Snails Trail squares in different sizes because they look like flips.  I also pieced a one inch piano key border, and set it off from the main quilt with a one inch inner border.  I stabilized the ts with a lightweight woven bonded fabric.  Backed with flannel.  Ts are stippled but not over the printed portions.  Fun to do!
Most of the Louisiana gulf region is evacuating ahead of the storms that began moving in last night. It's going to be a miserable week for many people as they evacuate, worry about their belongings, and return to the damage. 


All that said, I thought that maybe we'd take a look at some of the quilts that are made specifically with a particular school in mind. In Louisiana, the big one is LSU, of course, and I've made a few tee-shirt memory quilts for former students who attended the purple and gold college. 

Texas A&M College Quilt #GigemAggies


My thinking is to show quilts in different styles and colors so that they can inspire you to make a quilt with your own alma mater in mind. These won't be just LSU or Louisiana colleges (though I could do that!) just a big selection concerned more with different styles and ideas. I really like how some people got creative with their blocks and others with block fillers.

Ohio State Quilt...beautiful!!! This is going to take some major begging on my part to get my mom to make me one of these

I hope you enjoy these and that they inspire you in your own quilt-making endeavors.

I think Dani Ray needs to make me one!K-State Quilt. Right @Danielle Houghtby?

Braided Quilt - Could EASILY become an OU quilt!!!

Andrew's college graduation quilt. Background patches are "turning twenty again" pattern and the needle turn appliqued gears are my designs.
A degree in engineering, perhaps?

This listing is for quilts made to order!  Beautiful Iowa State Cyclones quilt hand made by me! The fabrics are a collection of red, yellow, red and yellow, and cyclone print fabrics against a white cotton background. The backing is 100% cotton fabric. Batting is warm and natural 100% cotton.  This quilt is machine quilted in an intricate pattern with premium thread. Machine wash on cold and tumble dry to clean. This quilt would be great for a baby quilt, a college dorm quilt, or for the rece...The quilt is made with 2 1/2" strips Dragon Roll, Bali Pop or Jelly Roll, and comes in 4 different sizes, crib, lap, twin/full and queen size. The pattern uses yardage of 3 different fabrics along wit


Please remember the people who are affected by Hurrican Harvey as you go about your daily living this week. And a prayer would be nice, too.

NTT and Team Spirit | My Quilt Infatuation | Bloglovin

3 comments:

Paige said...

Mary, all of the college quilts are fabulous. I especially like the one with the capital O. Which school is that? And the cogs and gears one is fabulous!
I've been praying for those affected by the storm. I just can't imagine the damage from all the flooding and those displaced from their homes.

Ann said...

These are so much prettier and more interesting thsn t shirt quilts. Wow. I love the variety and strong designs.

Mary Marcotte said...

Oh Paige, everytime we turn on the TV the numbers have gone up. My sister lives just south of Houston. They are safe but I keep thinking how she could be any one of the people that we see on the news.

On a happier note: thanks for your kind words, both of you. I just thought it would be interesting to see other ways to celebrate a college accomplishment.