Sunday, February 10, 2019

Louisiana Beta Convention -- and I'm back!

sound and lights and cameras, Oh My!
I haven't posted this week because I was at Beta Convention, running things backstage. The convention has been at the Raising Canes River Center in Baton Rouge for several years now. It's huge, but we fill the place! The River Center people are accommodating and do their jobs well. Never-the-less, we ran into a problem right at the start: there had been a huge show the night before, so turnaround was backed up. We arrived at our usual time ready to get to work, but that was long before we could get into the arena to set up. 

Few people are allowed in the arena while the stage, sound, and other equipment are being set up. There are booms, and poles, and just stuff everywhere. And electrical lines...huge wires going from huge breaker boxes to the stage and other places. It's fascinating to see the place transformed, like watching ants make an anthill. 

my office during convention--at least I had a great chair
It was quite a bit of fun, despite how hard I work. I'm definitely not used to standing on my feet for hours at a time. My "work station" is a table in the back corner of the stage. I do a bit of paperwork to keep things organized. Mostly though, I move kids from one area to another. As schools arrive, I tell them where to put props and costumes, show them the bathrooms and dressing rooms and give them a rundown of what to expect.

Ready or not, here they come!
Before and during competitions I call schools back to prepare for the stage, get them in the right place, keep them quiet, move them from one staging area to the next. Sometimes there's only one kiddo going on stage. Sometimes there are as many as 80. I don't know numbers until they arrive for their part. I also don't know how large or how many props they'll have. Some schools are new and have just a few things they carry in their hands. 
My view throughout convention--backsides only
Others are old pros. One school had a 40' backdrop that had to be moved in one piece. It was made of PVC pipe, concrete in buckets, and duck tape. Nope. No kidding. The guy who thought he was in charge left with part of it blocking a doorway. He did not appreciate my moving it. Uhm, have any sense?!

over 5,000 Betas fill the arena up to the nose-bleed section
My "big three" concerns are safety, time and noise. Of course, safety is at the top of the list--there are many, many dangers that the kids don't see--but keeping everyone on schedule is my primary job. Well, I also try to keep the noise level down so that speakers and performers are not distracted. 

Beta convention still life
All in all, it's not a terribly important job and anyone can do it, but I enjoy it and take it seriously. There's an added bonus that I get to meet speakers and dignitaries, such as the officers visiting from out of state and the governor's wife. Who knew she was coming? But mostly I enjoy seeing young people filled with enthusiasm, energy and joy. 

Beta officers visiting from out of state with
Mrs. John Bel Edwards, the governor's wife.
Of course, sometimes I get a kid with a serious case of stage fright. One girl ate a chunk of my bagel because she felt sick and weak. Okay, glad to assist! Actually, it feels good to be there for them and to do my little part in making things run smoothly and efficiently. 

1 comment:

Karen S said...

Sounds like you need to put work feet up for a week after that!