Saturday, February 16, 2019

This [familiar] Old House

I read just about anything with words that comes into the house. Books, magazines, whatever. Doesn't matter. It's the words. They are like pecan pie...they call my name. 

So when This Old House came in, I picked it up. The last page of the magazine is always an article titled "Save this Old House," which includes a picture and information about an old house that is for sale and needs lots of TLC. 

This month I thought the picture looked familiar. I took another look. Hmm. I read the words. And they told me exactly what I already knew. This old house lives in Moreauville, a small town in Avoyelles Parish, about 20 miles away.



A transom and sidelights
surround a large single door
on the wide, deep porch. 
Dr. Eugene Amet and his wife immigrated from France and built this house in 1856. The woodwork trim, which was added later, is unbelievable. 


View of addition which includes a large
kitchen and several other rooms
Gingerbread trim around front porch


  My hope is that someone will purchase and save the house. It's perhaps one of the oldest homes in our parish. It comes under the umbrella of the Louisiana Trust for Historic Preservation (LTHP) which will assist new owners in restoring the 3,576 sq. ft. home.
(R) right side view of back addition
(L) side views of original house
Do you think the home has a chance of being bought and preserved? Would you consider restoring an old building if the opportunity arose? I just need the money!

2 comments:

Kaja said...

Oh my goodness, I'd buy it in the blink of an eye if I had the money. It's just beautiful.

Karen S said...

What a lovely building.