Tuesday, June 9, 2020

A hideous quilt takes shape . . . maybe?

A few days ago I pulled this last piece from the Sherry Lynn Wood workshop that I attended back in November. It had been bothering me that 1.) I didn't like it and 2.) it was taunting me, if you will. I determined that I needed to use it or chop it. Either way, something had to happen.


So I decided to first try to use it as is. Once chopped, there's no going back, soo....
I liked the almost Dresden plate section, so why not start there. I made several chunks of rounded shapes, mostly in blue. 


I like this so I made more, trying to use up some scraps I wasn't crazy about. I also realized that making the circles in blue was getting away from the original piece. So I added some different colored scraps.


And more of those circles. Notice that I also moved things around in an attempt to make the pieces work. Add, move, repeat.


And moved it all around some more.  Add, move, repeat.


Add, move, repeat.  It felt like a new mantra.


And this is where I am today.  Less than happy? Sure. 


Actually quite unhappy, but determination can do wonders for getting some chunks on the wall. And I have a few ideas. Oddly, it doesn't look terrible in a picture, but in real life? It's pretty hideous. Too busy and way too much clashing and gnashing and clawing. Yes, I absolutely have some work to do. What do you think? Chop it up? Hide it? Burn it? Hahaha, everything is on the table right now. 


3 comments:

patchworkstories.weebly.com said...

Orange and blue work well together. Maybe the large brown pieces are throwing you off. The swirling shapes are quite interesting. When making 'crumb' quilts most say - 'if you don't like it, cut it and make it smaller.' You might find a print with the orange/blues/browns that can pull it all together? Be sure to show us the final version.

Mary Marcotte said...

Thanks for the advice Ellen. I can't work on it this week, so my plan is to leave it on the design wall and let it wander around my brain. Surely it will find something in there to stick to, and we'll see what that is. Yes I'll show my progress along the way. This is probably the most "improvish" I've ever gotten and, though I don't like the quilt yet, I'm enjoying the improv.

Anonymous said...

For me, I feel the solid blue oval piece is distracting to the whole. The eye goes right to that
Piece, no matter how many more crumbs are added. Good luck with the process.