Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Oh no, I'm not!

I've been having a rough go in the studio. Nothing is really happening. That top on the design wall is driving me insane. I've tried almost everything: adding to it, changing that, adding some more, an aha! moment that has gone nowhere, adding some more. I've about had it. 



Now, let me tell you that I wasn't so disappointed with it last week. I felt that something was happening. Not anything terribly bad, I mean. Then Richard walked in.
Richard: That's a busy quilt. (He was not being nice with that too matter-of-fact tone.)
Me: Well, I'm starting to like it a little. I think if I keep going it's going to become something. 
Richard: Yeah, it's real busy.
Me: Get out. Something's happening. (I think he crossed his eyes. Maybe not.)





The very next day, he walked through again. By this time his words had inched their way into my thought process. I was struggling.
Me: I think I'll turn this into a puppy bed. It's a good size for...
Richard: Oh, you wouldn't do that to the puppies, would you? 
Me: What do you mean? It's not that bad.
Richard: Well, they would go crazy. That's too busy.
Me: Tell me you're joking and you're sorry. 
Richard: Of course, maybe Cotton would be able to find his bed. (Cotton, at 17, is blind.)


Now that, friends, did get in my head. What the heck? Why? How come? (That's a Southern question.) So, just like that, I'm doubting the piece and, worse, am thinking of ditching it. Well, I'm thinking of cutting it into a different improv piece. Maybe not. I've decided to leave it alone until I get back from quilt retreat in Baton Rouge with the MQG there. 

Yeah, that's what I said. Quilt retreat! 

4 comments:

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

Spouses shouldn't comment. Mine says that string quilts look too busy and would keep him awake if trying to sleep. I say, I don't need his opinion cause I love my string quilts!!

Anonymous said...

I like where it's going in the top two pictures! Please don't let doubt creep in, especially from outside of yourself.

Mary Marcotte said...

Hahaha, string quilts eat up scraps. Husbands can't understand the point.
Oddly, I like it when I look through the camera lens, but in person, it is busy. I'll figure it out eventually. Thanks for visiting!

Mary Marcotte said...

The top two pictures are where it is now. The other two are what I was playing with to see if I could cut strips and make a Chinese coins type setting.
My husband lots to tease in a fun way. He would never purposely hurt my feelings, so I can easily ignore his comments. I've decided to leave the top for a while. I have many other projects in the works.