Friday, June 26, 2020

Design Wall Dilemma


Why would I call this a dilemma? Because I haven't known what I wanted from the very beginning. It all started with a Sherry Lynn Wood workshop back in November. I created two pieces, one I've turned into a finished quilt, which I like very much, now that it's in the quilt chest.

But then I had this second piece. It nagged at me because I just couldn't see what it wanted. I put it on the design wall; pronounced it ugly and wrote that it is hideous. It took up space. Lots of space. On the design wall. In my head. In the galaxy. Probably in your head. Look in there, would ya? Do you see it? What's it telling you? 

We went to Galveston. We returned. It stayed behind and found a way to make itself more monstrous than ever. I held a sewing camp. Five days, three kids, four projects, safety, safety, safety. One injury. We survived. The hideous quilt did, too.

All those things just got in the way of the percolating process. Talk about improv! Put, play, move, make more, chop! Everything was happening. Yet nothing was happening. At the same time. I had an aha! moment that lasted a 1/100th of a moment and then...nothing. Again. Maybe it's going somewhere now. I'm still not sure, but I'm dutifully sewing pieces together anyway. Besides, it may be growing on me. 

That's because for a day or so it had me thinking of a Nautilus shell. I think I'll keep going with that idea and see where it takes me. What do you think? Is there a Nautilus shell in there? 






Other articles about my experiences with Sherry Lynn Wood:

No comments: