Friday, November 22, 2019

Meet Sherri Lynn Wood

Wednesday I told you about going to the Joan Mitchell Center for their Open Studios. There was a special reason for our visit: Sherri Lynn Wood is an artist-in-residence there. And when she leaves in December, she will be giving a workshop in Lafayette, which I am attending. (More in a few weeks.) But for now, I'd like to introduce you to the Sherri Lynn Wood that we met.

Sherri is working on several pieces while in New Orleans. The first two are pieces that symbolize menopause and its attendant miseries: bloating, weight gain, dryness, pain, psychological loss.


She created the first piece from pieces of a discarded suit and salvaged fabrics. Do you see menopausal symbols and motifs?


The second one piece deals more with the ways the female body changes during menopause. 



How about this way of storing and organizing your patches? Isn't happy? The pieces are blocks that she discovered in a bag of fabrics that someone gave her for recycling. As she works on them, Sherri sorts them on these lines. Expect to see a temporary banner in my studio. I love the cheer and color this provides in the blank slate that is her current studio. I'll leave you with just a few more photos from Sherri Lynn Wood's studio.

Discussing how Joan
Mitchell's work and New
Orleans informs her own work

On the floor of her studio space

Working/cleaning area


3 comments:

Karen S said...

It is so interesting to talk to different artists about their work. Great opportunity.

Marty Mason said...

I'll be seeing you in a Sherri Lynn Wood workshop in Broussard...Yay! Can hardly wait to enjoy some improv magic with her.

Kaja said...

How cool is this? It is always interesting to see people's workspaces. Like you, I love the idea of hanging bits on lines. If I ever stop working in the kitchen I'll be pinching that idea.