Tuesday, November 19, 2019

North Bayou Des Glaises ~~ finished!

I finally have a finish that I can show you. This is a small hand quilted art piece that I started weeks ago. I should have finished last week, as planned, but bipolar depression can get in the way of lots of should haves. Anyway, it's finished now and I love it.


It is Bayou Des Glaises at Bordino Crossing. Bordino Crossing is the bridge that is closest to my late grandmother's old home place. She died in 1991 and I still think of her and miss her. I'd worked on another piece with a part of this green-brownish water and loved the outcome. For this one I decided to focus on the water. 


Bayou water is slow moving and carries lots of sediment, which makes it muddy brown. All summer long algae, water lilies, and small shrubby trees tend to cover the top of the water so that there's much more green than brown at this time of year. 


If you really look into the bayou, you might see every shade of green and some shades of brown, red-browns, and khaki browns. Much of the colors depend on the soil, the green growth, and (honestly) whatever rot there may be. 


To capture the movement of the water, I used big stitches that sort of sway but not much. The water can move so slowly that you can tell only if debris happens to be floating by. And where lily pads cover the surface, movement is barely perceptible. 


I like to finish these little quilts by mounting them on gallery frames that Richard makes for me. I square up the edges and zip them through the serger. Stretching them on the frame takes patience because this is quilted fabric, not canvas.


As with regular quilts, mitered corners are especially nice, but even more difficult. The folds create an extra thick layer on the back and staples are not cooperative. I've been considering going back and stitching the corners on the side edges to see if I can sharpen them just a little. What do you think about using monofilament thread? I really dislike using it, but will reconsider if it will make enough difference to warrant the fight. If you use this thread, would you mind recommending your favorite brand? I'd be ever so grateful.




Quilt Stats


Name:
Bayou Des Glaises at Bordino Crossing


Size:
7" X 9"


Fabrics:
various green fabrics from stash


Pattern:
art quilt of my design


Backing:
reclaimed green fabric from stash


Batting:
100% Cotton


Binding:
none, framed


Quilting:
hand-quilted using big stitches


Completed:
November 2019

1 comment:

Kaja said...

What a lovely piece, Mary. I really enjoyed reading about it too, and understanding how your knowledge and observations of the bayou informed the artistic process. Can't help with the monofilament thing, I'm afraid. I bought some once, swore a lot, threw it in a box and never took it out again.