Sunday, December 18, 2011

Meeting Christmas

I can't believe that I'm posting two days in a row.  It's getting more and more difficult to get to all the things I need to do.  


Today alone we went to mass, cooked lunch for the kids and grands and visited for a while.   Then I went into the studio to work on Josh's quilt, which is done, done and finished!  Yay!


Then I started on Audrey's quilt....the last one for my sister Angie.  And guess what I managed--the top is complete. 

I admit that I cheated a bit......it's almost a whole cloth quilt.  I say almost because I had to piece it.  


Audrey saw the fabric I had planned, which is this plaid from mom's stash and loved it.  "It's awesome, Aunt Mary!" were her exact words.  After we talked a bit--she told me to put her name on the quilt--I decided that I'd use the plaid and applique her name and some funky flowers.  This is one easy quilt.  The hardest part was creating the letters for her name.  



I decided to use the freezer paper method--drawing out the letters on the dull side of the paper.  After adhering fusible web to the fabric wrong side, press the waxy side of the freezer paper to the right side of the fabric.  


Cut out the letters on the lines and remove the papers.  Then place the letters onto the plaid fabric and press.


I used my Accuquilt Studio flower petals die and made as many petals as possible from one strip of fusible web.  Turns out that's 10 petals or two flowers.  


While I was placing and pressing the flowers on the quilt top, Richard was hanging new curtains in the studio.  We finally found some that I like last night while shopping.  


They are simple brown drapes that are rather thin, but I wanted them to be just heavy enough to block out the view from outside.  They have the extra large grommets across the top so that I can easily open and close them.  


The old curtains, which I kept, were hung on the two smaller windows which have the air conditioners.  They are Roman shade-type drapes that are insulated, so they can be pulled up to expose the AC or let down to cover it. 


I'll get back to Audrey's quilt tomorrow, but for tonight I needed to wrap a few gifts, and get ready for school in the morning.  All of the gifts that will go to the in-laws are wrapped and put aside for Friday.  Homework's done, and I'm down for the evening.  Here's wishing you a wonderful, safe Christmas.


Happy Quilting,
Mary

1 comment:

lambs and ivy designs said...

I love the quilt. I am sure that will be a much loved treasure for years to come!

Just wanted to stop by and say Merry Christmas!!!

hugs,
Dana