Monday, November 12, 2018

Sunday Quilt Inspiration -- Houston IQS {page 1}

Velvet Flowers by Linda Anderson 
Oh my goodness! Houston was a blast! Unbelievable fun, tons of quilts, sisters and friends, quilters, vendors, books, food. You get the picture. We did not stop. For four days. Hence the reason I'm a day late getting this post out. Please forgive me.

Let me back up just a little. At first there were issues. One friend couldn't go, then she could, then she couldn't. And all of that was fine, except she was going to drive and had taken care of the hotel accommodations. 

But as is often the case, a sister came through with her timeshare and we were able to get an extra night and let the hotel go. I decided to drive Rich's truck, which all but terrified me. And yet another sister came through at the last minute with her car. Then the weather was horrid. What a mess! 
Perseverance by Mary Olson

In the end we left early to get ahead of the storm, but thankfully, we had told Lee to keep Wednesday open. That gave us all of Thursday to walk the George R. Brown Convention Center. Oh, it's as big as its name. 


Silent Canary by Patricia Kennedy-Zafred
In no time I was gawking at beautiful quilts, meeting quilt-makers, and just having a fabulous good time. Angie and Pam were goodness-knows-where because we had decided that we could "do our own thing" then meet up for lunch. I started with the big winners. They are always elbow deep with fans, so I decided to jump in and chat. There's no use in putting it off. Plus I wanted terribly to see them no matter how many people were crowding around..

I got lucky because a couple of the quilt winners were showing their quilts and answering questions. Then I beat it to the farthest corner of the GRB and started with one of my favorites, Tactile Architecture. 


Hope by Ximo Navarro Sirera

Blue Anemone by Andreas Brokenshire

And my day only got better. Kaffe Fassett had a special exhibit of some of his quilts. I happened upon him presenting them one-by-one. He spoke about the inspiration for each quilt, the fabrics he used, how he came to design his fabrics, and so on. It was very interesting to see into the mind of a artist. 

Kaffe Fassett talking about
the quilts he had in the show.
Did you enjoy these photos of the quilters I was able to "meet" and their makers? Would you like to see more of the quilts in the show? I have to process photos (I write that like I know what I'm doing. ha!) but I'll post some as I go along.

1 comment:

Karen S said...

This all looks amazing. How wonderful that it all worked out in the end!