Saturday, November 3, 2018

Gina's Surprise ~~ finished

Maybe I should name this quilt Mary and Gina's Surprise. I finished the entire quilt in only a few days, so I am surprised.


Gina, however, is the one with the really big surprise. She is expecting a boy mid-January. Gina is my niece and is about 32 years old. She has always said no children, ever. Plus, she has two nephews of her own that she's especially close to. I suppose you could say she helps in raising them and that was enough for her.

But, you know, things can change. A girl in her thirties can find the love of her life. They can find themselves enjoying a "no children, ever" surprise with a side of crow and a nice glass of blush. Still, Gina is having a grand time being "preggy," I think the word is now. 


Some of the quilting--I just switched
from one motif to another as I pleased.
Aother surprise is that some of the fabrics in this quilt are from my late mom's stash. Gina was really close to mom and often mentions how much she misses her. So when I decided to make a quilt for Gina, I thought it would be really special to include at least a few of mom's fabrics, even if they are really, really old. So I got busy looking. 


Several boxes later (I used the opportunity to  clean up and get more fabric put away) I discovered the one box that I knew had to be around somewhere. In it were three dusty but usable blue fabrics. She'd better have a boy! One is this pretty blue flannel. It reminds me of daddy since he always wore flannel shirts in the winter, which only adds to the sentimental value. 

Since there was only a little over a yard, I think mom bought lots and used up the amount necessary to make him a shirt. This is just what happens to be left over. And it just happens to be the right amount. The stars do align when grandparents in heaven are giving an assist.



Six and a half inch blocks, a Trip Around the World pattern and progressive free-motion quilting all made for a two-day quilt that is 44" square and very boyish. Since there was enough of the flannel, I decided to cut it on the diagonal and use it for binding. And for the label I stitched on small pieces of the two fabrics on the front so she could easily remember which ones were Grandma's. I think Gina will enjoy it.



-->
Quilt Stats
Name:Gina's Surprise
Size:44 x 44
Fabrics:fabrics from mom's stash (and mine)
Backing:blue plaid flannel from mom's stash
Binding:same blue flannel
Pattern:Trip Around the World design
Quilting:Progressive FMQ
Completed:November 2, 2018

Link Ups

7 comments:

Karen S said...

That is a lovely quilt and it is even more special with that background story. A gorgeous gift.

Preeti said...

I think you should call it OMG!!! Oh Mary and Gina or Oh My Goodness :-D All those blues and simple squares make an adorable quilt. Wishing good health and an easy birth to Gina.

Sandra Walker said...

Yay you have a popup window for comments so I can comment! How I love this sweet surprise quilt. It gives me a little hope (don't tell!) that my second daughter, Dayna, who is getting married at the end of this month maybe will also decide to surprise us....nope, no kids, she has always said and still maintains... I love the extra-special meaning in this quilt by using your mom's stash, especially since Gina was so close to her.

Mary Marcotte said...

Interestingly,I didn't do a thing to make that popup happen. I guess the Google stars are in line.
Yes, there is hope! And what makes it sweet is Gina is so into having a baby. Her "momma" (instinct? mode? heart?) kicked in as soon as the shock wore off.

Mary Marcotte said...

Hahaha yes OMG would have worked well. But I'll just step back and let her enjoy her grandma memories. It couldn't have been easier yet she'll be very impressed. Thanks for the love. 💟 Her age worries me a little.

Mary Marcotte said...

Don't you just love a good quilt story? 🙂

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

What a nice quilt, and such a wonderful way to connect the generations! This baby will be very lucky to have such a loving family.
Cheers,
Sylvia@Treadlestitches