Saturday, June 1, 2019

Red Is a Neutral ... more blocks

There are not many more blocks, but I put in a couple of afternoons to get these done. Tuesday's work: 
I made these Dutchman's Puzzle blocks. I needed only one but it's an easy block, so I thought I'd make two. As soon as I sewed the final seam on the second block, I realized that I had not arranged all four sections correctly. One was turned the wrong way. What an annoyance!

Once I started ripping the sections apart, I decided to play. Why not? I needed only one block. So now I have two different blocks that sort of match. 

Wednesday's work included these two. When Richard came into the studio for a visit, I told him, "I'm running on stupid." That tickled him quite a bit, but I was not laughing at the time. I cut the wrong size patches. So I cut them again, correctly this time, but I cut twice the amount. 

The one on the bottom is the correct block, but since I had extra pieces, why not? Play I did. I ended up with the block on the top. It looks familiar, but I haven't had time to look it up.


Yesterday I made the Card Trick block. Now that was a mess! I kept getting the pieces mixed up. I pressed seams open and laid them out in the right order, then took a picture. Good idea! I needed it. I think I could make a second one without the visual aid, but I won't.


These five are the blocks I'll have to show on Monday at the guild meeting. I think I should have five different ones but, oddly, I didn't get instructions. As it is, I didn't have the directions for the Card Trick block, so I improvised. Not well, mind you. My center patch was just a little too small, which means my block isn't quite 12". This quilt... I don't know.



So to sum up, very few blocks match in size, some are not blocks at all--just extras from the miscuts, I'm behind on the BOM and don't have directions for the missing blocks. Yes, that's how we do it in "typical Mary fashion." 


6 comments:

Robin said...

It sounds like it just wasn't your day in the sewing room. I've had some of those. . . But, you persevered and now you have five blocks done instead of three. That seems like a win-win to me. I love the color of red you have chosen. And the blocks look great all together.

Sherry said...

I like your colors. I have had those kinds of sewing days as well. I remember one time I sewed a single block wrong three times! Oh it was frustrating.

Your blocks don't look too off size in the pictures.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi Mary, I really like your blocks. I also like your honesty in sharing dealing with your little slip ups and your process. I'm terrible at piecing and get quite discouraged sometimes especially when I see the terrific and smooth sailing work of so many quilters. This gives me encouragement to keep trying.

Kaja said...

Your blocks are determined to improvise, whether you want to or not. :-)

Mary Marcotte said...

Hahaha Kaja, it does seem that way, doesn't it?

O'Quilts said...

ANd you keep carrying on...terrific!!!