Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Goodbye "Fun" and Fair

Jarod and Cheryl serving rice dressing and roast beef.
Last weekend was our annual church fair. Richard and I keep busy helping out where necessary on Saturday night. For him that meant working at the Coke booth. For me, it meant collecting money and calling numbers at the Bingo table. 


Mrs. Anna serving rolls and
Richard closing and bagging plates.
On Sunday we helped serve lunch. Nine hundred plates of rice dressing, roast beef, sweet potatoes, cold slaw, and rolls. It takes a small army, but we had a great crew this year. Two plates are served at about the same time. Richard, whose job was to close the plates and move them to another area, stayed especially busy. 



Another way that we pitched in was to head the Silent Auction. That was really my job and I set everything up early Saturday. 



These items were donated for the auction. Add to these the cross that Richard made and the quilt I made, See Such Fun. Every item was made by a local but well-known artisan. Well-known except for Richard and me, of course. 



Though I don't know how much money the fair raised, I can say that I'm happy with the auction. The items would usually sell for much more, but the auction wasn't advertised as it was added only a week or so before the fair. One artist donated her work and suggested the auction, and in only a few days we had items from several people. I'm excited to find out how well the fair fared. 


See Such Fun (62" x 62")

3 comments:

Pink Rose said...

Hi Mary wow thats a lot of meals and gee i love the cross and your quilt is so pretty,i am sure alot of money was raised,well done xx

Karen S said...

I hope your fair was successful and raised a lot of funds. If the amount of food was anything to go by it went really well.

Mary Marcotte said...

Sheryl and Karen, the fair was quite successful. I figure that serving so many meals is exhausting mostly because I'm not used to handling so many plates. I assume that those who do this kind of work daily are in better shape and likely have a few shortcuts that I'd like to know.