Friday, September 13, 2019

To See Such Fun ~~ finished!

And another finish! This little quilt is a 62 inch square of pink and yellow scraps to be given away this weekend. 


The pattern is Amanda Jean Nyberg's from her book No Scrap Left Behind. (The link goes directly to the QAL.)  I made another quilt (here) during her June Quilt Along in 2017. 


I made several changes with this quilt. Mostly I turned everything into  4½" blocks and then sewed those into strips. The center sections create large four-patch blocks, the cornerstones are made of broken dishes blocks and finally I made the 4½" strips in to square blocks and didn't worry about which way they got turned


My original version of this quilt
following Amanda Jean's directions.
Nope, wait. One more difference is that I didn't use the on-point setting. Hmm, is this still Amanda Jean's pattern? I'm not sure, but it was definitely inspired by her design.


To quilt it, I decided to use some of the curvy medium-sized motifs that are such fun to drop in. They are smooth and easy and, if I keep them large enough, are easy to see and appreciate. The quilt should be really soft and wrinkly when it gets washed. I haven't washed it because it's going to its new home this weekend after the church fair. We will have a silent auction, which I agreed to run, so I decided to add a quilt to the mix. (More on the fair and the silent auction early next week.)


For the back I used a fuchsia linen and some lighter, wide pink strips left over from previous projects. Every bit of fabric came from my stash or scraps. My latest roll of batting came in just days before I loaded the quilt, which was great timing. 


The title To See Such Fun is from a line of the "Hey Diddle, Diddle" nursery rhyme, so this quilt goes into that series. I just couldn't resist the title because everything about the quilt is simply fun.



Quilt Stats


Name:
To See Such Fun


Size:
62" X 62"


Fabrics:
4½” pink strip scraps, 4½” yellow scraps 


Pattern:
Inspired by Amanda Jean Nyberg QAL


Backing:
Pink cottons and linens from stash


Batting:
100% Cotton


Binding:
Pink scraps from stash


Quilting:
Mid-size curvy graffitti motifs 



Oh, the LINK UPS!

8 comments:

Kim said...

This quilt is so pretty dancing with all those pink and yellow scraps of yours. There is so much visual interest in this quilt. Love the back too. The fuschia fabric makes everything pop.

Kaja said...

What lovely happy colours, Mary. I like the way you made the pattern your own.

Amy said...

Oh so beautiful

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I really like your version!! The pink and yellow is such a great combination!!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Hi, Mary! Both of your quilts are terrific!

Cathy said...

Wonderful color scheme, lovely quilting, great name. Love it all and that you made the pattern your own.

Karen S said...

Your quilt is lovely. Great to have a finish! And i hope it went well at the auction.

Preeti said...

So much juicy yumminess in this quilt. I love all the bright pinks and sunny yellows. Makes me think of pineapple ice-cream and raspberries sorbet!!! Your quilting is so much fun. I therefore agree with your choice of name - See Such Fun!!!