Saturday, September 7, 2019

Pitfalls of Quilting

I know, I know. How can anyone who loves quilts and quilting admit the downside? Well, sometimes we just have to be honest with ourselves. Plus, there's that possibility that if we admit to the faults, we can work to correct or fix them.


 Besides, it just makes for a different kind of post. Here goes...a list of (some) pitfalls to being a quilter:
  1. the cost. Somehow every quilter I know, including myself, has spent unspeakable amounts of money building a stash.
  2. the space. Who doesn't want a dedicated sewing room? It is a luxury that took me years to attain. In fact, it wasn't until our empty nest years that we finally built the studio. One room becomes two rooms which then becomes a separate, sometimes larger, building. Fabric and machines and worktables all have a big footprint when it comes to storage and work areas.
  3. the time. Quilting's rewards far exceed the time it takes to make each quilt. While it may take us away from other duties or family, we certainly do revel in its joy. Nevertheless, it demands a great deal of time and energy.
  4. the competition. Quilting can become something that we use to measure ourselves against others. I'm not a competitive person, but I do occasionally compare my work to others. I find that most comparisons come in little things: stitches, points, applique. Of course, competition can be good: it pushes us to learn, improve, be bold. 
I'm guessing there are other pitfalls. Can you add to my list? I'm curious what you might add because, really, who's working terribly hard on this idea of quilting having some negatives? 

2 comments:

Pink Rose said...

Hi Mary i dont think quilting has negatives,i love the beautiful work that you do xx

Karen S said...

What about adding the fact that sometimes you have to sleep instead of quilting. Sleeping really does get in the way!