Friday, March 20, 2020

Hush, Hush. The snake's in the garden...


Image result for Turn: Washington's Spies
All photos from Google

One might think that I've been enjoying the beautiful spring weather and the studio so much that I've neglected everything else. Well, that's not quite true, but there's a story, so sit tight for a minute. Firstly our living room television died. Completely. A few days later while running errands, I convinced Richard to just go ahead and get another. 

Long story shortened: there's a new TV over the fireplace looking like it is the most important thing in the house. Oh well. My pretty little decorations had their turn, I suppose. Anyway this is a SMART TV. It connects to the wifi. 
Woo whoo!, since we have Netflix. 

Image result for Turn: Washington's Spies
Abraham Woodhul / Culper, cabbage farmer turned spy
I discovered Turn: Washington's Spies, a show about the Revolutionary War of the USA. Mostly about the spies and intrigue and lie piled upon lie. I could never be a spy: I barely remember the truth of my own life. I watched the trailer, then the first episode. Then dragged Rich in against his will for the second episode. 

Last night, finally, we closed the four seasons of 10 episodes each. It took two weeks and much discussion to keep up with everyone and their lies and their truths and their deaths. Some characters "died" several times--spies are a hardy bunch, apparently. (Yet another reason I'm out of the spy game.)

By the way, that "Hush, Hush..." title is the beginning of the theme song for the show. You'll hear it 40 times if you watch every episode, which you'll do if you watch one episode. 

Image result for Turn: Washington's Spies
Captain Simcoe, a horrid antagonist who
later emancipates slaves in Canada 
There are characters to love and hate, ones that will annoy you, others who will break your heart. Most of the series is meant to show you how these dangerous intrigues were accomplished, but to do so, it must include the heartbreak, loneliness, and fear. Women gave themselves for the cause, men gave their lives, everyone pays. 

Image result for Turn: Washington's Spies
General George Washington

What is I like most about this show is how it depicts both sides of the Revolution. We "cheered" some of the British as much as we disliked some of the Americans. For others we changed our feelings completely. Knowing the outcome of the war didn't matter. We were still invested in the players, their motives, their outcomes.

Image result for Turn: Washington's Spies
Caleb Brewster
It's a series I definitely recommend (perhaps not for binge watching unless you are held captive). For us, watching the entire series in a two week span was a bit of overkill; but as one episode closed, the cliffhanger had us in its grip. We just let the TV start the next episode and watched several in a sitting. It's the first time I've watched TV the way I'd read a book. That, in itself, is my best recommendation.

Image result for Turn: Washington's Spies

2 comments:

IdleHandsinAlabama said...

I LOVED this series! PBS has one on Jamestown and The Americans was pretty fabulous too, you know in case you have some extra home time in the immediate future :)

Ann said...

I have not heard of this series but think I'd like to watch it. Thanks, Mary.