Thursday, October 6, 2011

Etsy Shop Profile: Shazzabeth







1. Explain how the name of your Etsy store came about.  My name is Sharon with middle name Elizabeth, so Shazzabeth is a play on amalgamating these two names.


2. Where/when did you learn to make such beautiful jewelry?  I am primarily self taught. I started with a couple of classes at the local craft shop to learn the basics, and everything learnt since then has been through tutorials, in books, magazines and online. Once I have learnt a technique I like to play around and experiment with it. I don't follow tutorials as they are because I'm not interested in repeating someone else's design. I may use them to learn a new technique but then I come up with my own design.


Oceania - A Lampwork and Wire Art Necklace3. Do you have any favorite techniques?  I love both chainmaille and wirework. I decided fairly on to focus on these two areas of jewellery making, the theory being that I would prefer this to being "a jack of all trades, master of none" in terms of jewellery making techniques. Thats not to say I am a master of either of these techniques yet. Having said that I have recently started working with pmc too as I think this is a good fit with both the chainmaille and the wirework.

4. What are some of your favorite designs?  That's a difficult question to answer because my favourite part of jewellery making is in coming up with new designs. I love the process of coming up with ideas and thoughts and then seeing those ideas grow and evolve into a completed piece of jewellery. For this reason most of my designs are one offs. Of my current pieces I would have to say my favourite designs are my Blue Kyanite Flower Necklace and my Oceania Necklace.




5. How would you describe your creative process?  My creative process can vary so much from piece to piece. Sometimes I have a very clear picture in my head of a design and it is then just a process of trying different things until I make my idea work. At other times I might have a slight idea of what I am aiming for but the piece and the design actually evolves as I am working it. I'm not afraid to discard along the way as I am not the sort of person who will settle for 'that will do'.6. Who has influenced your art the most? In what way(s) did this person influence you?  There hasn't been any single person. I think what has helped the most has been being part of a beading forum. This has challenged me to push myself, to not be afraid of trying new things, and to think outside the box. It has also helped to receive constructive criticism along the way.What does handmade" mean to you?  To me handmade means, original, quality, and made with love.Visit Sharon and see more of her beautiful jewelry at http://www.etsy.com/shop/shazzabeth.  Can you pick out a favorite?  I would definitely struggle to choose just  one piece, after all, there are so many to choose from!

1 comment:

Shazzabeth Creations said...

Thank you so much for the feature!