Sunday, September 16, 2012

AAQI again

I had a productive day in the studio yesterday.  After a pretty rough day at work on Friday, I could barely wait to get home to some quilty peace.  Friday afternoon I managed to pick up a bit in the studio in the hopes that it would give me some inspiration.  It did not, but that's okay, I managed to find my inspiration in some tiny scraps that I almost tossed not so long ago.  


 Since they were already cut into basically same size rectangles, I stitched them together into two strips.  After sewing them to a light mint green fabric, I discovered the piece was too long and narrow for an AAQI quilt, so I cut that in half and played with it until I was happy and it was almost the right size.  

A few minutes of quilting and in no time at all, I had a cute little quilt.  I wanted a little more surface embellishment, so while adding the binding, I tucked in some bias pieces to form a piping and a couple of yellow loops.  Then I added a few beads and more of the yellow piping to repeat the scrolls that I'd quilted into the sashing.  

I spent more time on the final embellishments than on most of the quilt, but now that it's finished, I'm not so sure I like it.   What do you think?  Removing the scrolls would be very easy....just a few snips of the couching threads, so I may just snip away.  I haven't shown the quilt to anyone yet, so we'll see what everyone thinks.  Feel free to include your voice with a comment.  I'd really like to know what you think.  If they need to come off, then off they will come.  It's that simple!

I also managed to begin working on a tee shirt quilt for an LSU student.  I got the commission through a mutual friend.  I'm hoping to find out a little more about him or her so I can add some personal touches to the quilt.  All the pieces are cut into squares, all that's left is to trim them down to a 1/4 inch seam allowance.  


I also bought and cut black fabric for sashing while we were in Lafayette for a birthday party for one of the grandchildren.  I can take only so many minutes of Chuck E Cheese's, so I found my way to Jo-Ann Fabrics.  While there, I found this darling little polka dot fat quarter piece.  I bought two in the hopes that I can think of a cute project for them.  That shouldn't be too difficult, right?  Just look at the darling piece.  Isn't it pretty and bright?  I think it wants to be a cute little bag, let's see.

No comments: