Monday, March 11, 2013

Little Squares Quilt


On Saturday morning I woke up early and escaped to the studio.  To find this......

Trees, puppy beds, dog food--all piled in front of the design wall. First things first, moved out the trees, tossed away the puppy beds, and hauled the sack of dog food to Richard's shed.  Now that's much better.

I'd left a mess on the sewing table, as well.  This mess is all mine. On Friday evening I started working on a small quilt using the 2 1/2 inch squares that I'd picked up while at QuiltCon in Austin.  These are simple little blocks with straight lines that zip together quickly.



In no time I had a nice pile of sewn blocks sitting on the ironing board.  I quickly pressed them and began sticking them to the design wall.

 
I ended up using every one of the little squares from all five packs of 42 and added a few solids from the stash so that I'd have enough.  By noon I was sewing the blocks into strips alternating them with solid white squares.  Six blocks across and six blocks down, so in no time I had a whole quilt top completely put together.

 
Easy stitching.
 
 
Sunday afternoon, while the kids played and ran around, I loaded the quilt top on the long arm.  By the time the rain started and everyone left, I was well into the quilting.    I decided to have a little fun with some hearts and scrolls on the large white squares and smaller hearts on the small white pieces.
 
 
It still needs binding, but it's off the long arm and at about 60 X 60, it's a perfect size for cuddling.   

 

I had so much fun that I've begun creating the pattern in EQ7.  I'm thinking it's easy enough to be able to recreate while learning how to use the program.  I'll let you know how that goes.  In the meantime, tell me what you think of "Little Squares." 
Happy Quilting,
Mary

4 comments:

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

Loving your Little Squares, Mary! I love the scrappy look, and I love it with white. Sooo cute!

Carla said...

I think it's delightful! We have quite a few of those little packs here so I may have to " borrow " your idea if that's alright ; )

Jean(ie) said...

What a fun scrappy quilt. Love it!

Mary Marcotte said...

From Mary:

Hi Kelli, thanks for visiting. The scrappy look is what you get when you don't know what you want to begin with, so you take some of everything!

Carla, I first saw this pattern on a vintage quilt my aunt owns. I fell in love with it. I just changed her pink background to white for a more modern look.

Thanks Jeanie! I love it, too. Now to just get the binding on!