Friday, September 20, 2013

Hypolite Bordelon House (Museum)

A couple of days ago I was in Marksville for a meeting and happened to drive past an old home that I've seen many, many times.  I don't know why the house caught my eye, but it did, so after the meeting I returned to take a look.  Unfortunately I arrived after 5 o'clock, but the very nice lady who was closing up gave me a few minutes to take some pictures of the outbuilding.   Listed on the National Historic Register and the Louisiana National Register of Historic Places, it has the original "bousillage walls, the front and rear chamfered columns and the French doors." 

Marksville Chamber of Commerce photograph
From the Chamber website: The Hypolite Bordelon house was built five miles from Marksville on the Red River in the early Louisiana Creole Style of architecture.

Some members of the Bordelon family lived in the house until 1941 when Pierre Bordelon died. The house is furnished with articles from 1820 - 1940 period.

In 1979 the house was given to the city of Marksville and moved to its present location on Tunica Drive West, in the center of town. The house was restored and is listed on the National Historic Register because of its architectural and historical significance.

















The map, which is from the Louisiana Register of Historic Places, shows the location of the home in Marksville.  It's one of the few items available online.

I enjoyed my few minutes at the site and hope to return for more pictures and information and, if I'm lucky, a tour of the home.  If you're ever in the area, it's well worth some of your time to stop by.

No comments: