Monday, February 15, 2016

A New Crumb Quilt

Do you know what crumbs are? Basically they are the smallest of scraps. I don't sort scraps by size--they just all go into the same bins. When I want to use scraps, there's lots of shifting through the pieces. I generally empty the bin and start out looking for the smaller pieces.

But I'm not picky when the bins are full. I figure that cutting some of the larger pieces is fair game. In fact, just about anything is fair.

Saturday I started this new project. I set myself a couple of parameters or challenges. First, colors are blue, yellow and green. I'll add a neutral background later. Second, the blocks need to be somewhat the same size. I discovered with "Math is an Expletive" that different sizes cause more brain ache.


Third, I wanted to mix up the value. I don't usually worry about value but it's time to think about it. Finally, I wanted to use up more blue scraps. Somehow they keep multiplying.


At my first break I had these five each of the yellow and green, and seven of the blue. I decided to cut the largest yellow in half to bring it closer to the size of the others, then sewed up another green block. I'm not sure what I'll do about the blue. 



There's still lots of variety in size, so I'm going to have to work on that. But first, I have to choose a background fabric and decide how I want to arrange these blocks in the quilt. I suppose I'll need to hit Pinterest for some ideas!


Happy Quilting,

2 comments:

Kaja said...

I like how these are looking and you have so many options for a layout. I guess your choice of background fabric might influence how this goes.

Karen S said...

You have been very productive. The blocks are looking great.