Friday, July 13, 2018

Busy week...busy work

I have been keeping busy with all kinds of squirrelly projects. Judy over at Me and My Quilts would be so proud!

First, I chose a new pattern to make an outfit for Milly. Yes, another one. I two put aside that she hasn't worn yet.

I cut the pattern out on paper used for newsprint. To avoid cutting the pattern, I go old-school. I use tailor's tracing paper and the little wheel to draw the pattern onto the paper, then cut it out. Fast and easy. 

The pattern ready to cut out.
 Notice my notes: McCalls, M5353, girl's
dress back, size M, and Milly 2018 (so I can
remember for whom and when I used it)


I also cut out letters for my friend Leta. She had hip-replacement surgery and is recovering well. However, she is not up to par, so I offered to help. So far I have 96 of 135 sets of Phi Mu letters.


I've gathered all of my patterns. Sorted them into boxes. Filed them by number. All of them. I am planning to take pictures of them and put them for sale on one of the Facebook groups for sewists. It's slow going, but I don't really have a deadline.


Lastly, I've been working on these little art quilts. I am exploring the emotions of having bipolar disorder and trying to express that in art. I've decided to work in a series, perhaps five or six, so that I can really flesh out the deeper meanings of my thoughts and feelings. 

I'm working simultaneously on the first three but none of them are complete. I'm quilting these two by hand, but the third one will have both machine quilting and hand quilting. My hands can't keep up with my brain.

Of course, mixed in all this activity, I'm babysitting and visiting my sick peoples. I enjoy visiting with Richard's mom and dad. They really need the company. But just sitting and talking for hours is making me a little stir-crazy, so I've decided to bring some handwork with me. 


Bipolar 1
It's much easier to sit and listen to the problems and confusions of dementia with a little stitching in my hands. Yesterday I didn't even notice the time. Though I did notice that I really made some headway. Before I knew it, Richard was desperate to leave. Maybe he should bring a little stitching. :) 

What kind of busy work are you doing these days?

4 comments:

KaHolly said...

I am loving your very expressive art quilts! Busy hands make all the difference, don’t they?

Kaja said...

It sounds like you have found a great way to squeeze in some extra creative moments without sacrificing anything from the rest of life - good thinking!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I would bring my mom to my house and let her sew my seams for me. When she got too far gone to sew anymore, I let her put together fafric squares for me to sew. Sometimes I would just bring my machine, set it up in the cafeteria of the assisted living and let all the people gather around and watch me sew.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I like QuiltSwissy's process for keeping her mom involved. And I think your art quilts are excellent. Our younger son has bipolar and we've been through every emotion that exists with him (plus he has Asperger's which adds another whole dimension). Glad you are being squirrel-y with the rest of us!