Friday, January 18, 2019

Big Sky ~~ a slow quilting finish!

I've been working on a small art quilt for a couple of months. 



A stunning sunset here at home reminded me of a picture that I took in Montana on our last vacation. Thank goodness Google photos has a search feature, because even then it takes a while. 



That sunset--the day fading into blue, the streaks of whitish cloud, the navy blue of the impending darkness--held me spellbound until finally the last rays of light melted away. The clouds were floating in front of the blues of the sky and I tried to pick that up with my stitches of bluish white thread. Hopefully the lines help to move the eye from one side to the other. 



The dark bottom is navy in person. No matter how many photos I take, I haven't any idea how to adjust the color. In most of my photos, the fabric looks washed out or faded.



This little quilt took quite a while to complete because, while I carried it around with me to work on when away from home, it seemed that every time I opened it, something or someone pulled me away. However I know that even five minutes here and there eventually add up. Of course, it was encouraging to have an occasional 20-30 minutes to quilt a large chunk of space.


I didn't plan any of the quilting. I had an idea of what I wanted and made every decision when I opened the work. So what I thought I'd do one day could change completely the following day. I like working like this, without a plan. It allows me to move from one section of the quilt to another, quilting lines meeting in the center somewhere. 

Dragging the quilt around means it raveled somewhat along the cut edges, but I like that as it adds another dimension to my little 5 X 7 piece.

4 comments:

Ann said...

It's a lovely quilt, Mary. Definitely looks like a western scene in the last minutes of light. I like the way some of the pieces frayed, too.

Kaja said...

It's beautiful! Like Ann I rather like the frayed pieces too. One of the advantages of working small is that you can stitch really densely (well, you could do that on a huge piece too of course, but it would take a lifetime to complete).

Karen S said...

It is a lovely finish. The stitching is so effective the way it adds texture to your piece. Good to have something you can work on where-ever you go.

Preeti said...

Very elegant. Love it.