Thursday, January 3, 2019

Mrs. Bertha Q2 ~~ finish!


Mrs. Bertha is a guild friend who has asked me to quilt a top that she "inherited" from a friend. The short story is that the woman who made the quilt tops is someone I knew as a little girl. 
basic nine patch with a larger center square

Mrs. Mary Lee was mom and dad's neighbor from the time that we moved to Plaucheville until her death. They are all gone now, but some quilts and tops made by these neighbors are still around. 

a different quilting motif in each block

Mrs. Mary Lee's daughter and Mrs. Bertha are good friends. Mrs. Bertha found out that there were old quilt tops just sitting in a closet. She decided to act. That's Mrs. Bertha. 

Oh, the short version, so in the end, Mrs. Bertha asked me to quilt the tops. She repairs them as needed then passes them on to me. Once the tops are quilted, I get them back to her and she binds and labels them. Then she gets them back into Mrs. Mary Lee's family. 

I didn't remember that Mrs. Mary Lee was a quilter, but surely she and my mom talked about their mutual hobby. Certainly my mom would have told me, but I was a young mother and, while I did make quilts, I wasn't so interested in a couple of older ladies and their traditional quilts. 

Chances are pretty good that I dismissed my mom's conversation. I'm really sorry now that there were times when I missed out simply because I was too young to truly appreciate them. 
the pieced backing
Luckily I grew up to appreciate my mom's love of sewing and quilting, and we shared conversations and time doing what we both loved. Quilting some of Mrs. Mary Lee's quilts reminds me that I share much with women who came before me. Who do you share your quilting with?



2 comments:

jenclair said...

How wonderful that these inherited quilt tops are being restored and finished by you and Mrs. Bertha! Preserving the past and memories of the people as well as the quilts is surely a treasure in itself.

My daughter from B.R. spent the night with me last night and mentioned that her friend Ren still treasured the baby quilt I made for her when Chloe was born. I'm not much of a quilter, but knowing that the tiny quilt is still treasured made me happy. Serendipity that I can answer your question in a small way.

Baby quilts and AD fidget quilts are the extent of my quilting. :)

Karen S said...

Lovely to see these quilt tops coming to life. Great idea.